Wednesday, July 31, 2024

July 31st, 2024

 Waking up on the last day of the month and the first thing that came to mind is…

… this has been the lamest July that I can remember.
Go to work, be a dad, go to work, be a dad, go to work, be a dad.
I didn’t go to the ballpark one time in July. Why would I, they are 27-83. I didn’t go swimming once during the hot month of July. It’s not cool to go to the pool with dad. We didn’t go to the zoo in July because it’s also becoming uncool to go to the zoo with dad.
Then I thought about July in a little more depth.
It started out at a birthday dinner with Big George. Steak at the Golden Steer with my oldest son is a good beginning to the month.
In the middle of the month I introduced the Chicago hotdog to a friend of mine. She drove all the way up from Indianapolis to visit Parkys.
At the end of the month I took the train into the city for a musical and dinner. The theater, old friends, cocktails and spaghetti with meatballs is a solid showing on a Saturday afternoon and a good finale to a lame month.
So July wasn’t so bad after a little reevaluation. I do have to take Hazel for her eleven year old shots today. If she doesn’t already hate me, this should solidify it.
August?
I am driving down to Indianapolis for my high school reunion. Staying in a nice hotel with two pools and a pond. The pond will be perfect for me. I threw that in for the Chalkheads that are “Caddyshack” fans.
Big George is going to Wyoming with JoJo and starting his new program at Lagrange hospital in August. My roommate also turns eighteen this month.
So August is a new beginning for my first born baby boy.
I’ll try and mix it up in August. Go to work, be a father, go to work, celebrate the Class of ‘84, be a father. Go to work, read more books, be a father, walk to the zoo, go to work, be a father. Go to the pool, be a father, go to work, watch my son become a man, go to work. Witness Antifa destroy Chicago, go to work, be a father.
Snuck the last one in to stir things up. Chicago will be just fine and law and order will prevail.
Let’s go into August with astonishing attitudes and open minds.
And let’s end with another reference to that great golf comedy from 1980…
….Hey everybody, we’re all gonna get laid!”