Wednesday, July 3, 2024

July 3rd, 2024

 When I look back at it, I probably had to pick up a room strewn with Legos about three dozen times in my lifetime.

I’m talking thousands of Legos in an area of maybe six by six square feet. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
But when I was consumed by the chore of cleaning these little fucking bricks, it felt like my life would be dedicated to always picking up Legos. I was going to my grave because of these damn things.
And that’s just picking them up!
What about stepping on one of those sharp little bastards?
That is a subject for another Chalkboard.
Today those Legos are in three containers in a bedroom closet. I can’t think of the last time I had to clean up a carpet piled with plastic building blocks.
I can’t throw them away or drop them off at Goodwill. Legos are like a badge of courage that reminds you of the turmoil of parenthood.
When the Shepkids pack up my belongings someday, they’ll find their Legos from the beginning of the twenty-first century.
…and I'm going to bet you that they start playing with them!
They’ll probably have a deadline to get all my crap out of my Edgewater Beach apartment, but they will find time to build shit and rehash memories of dad screaming from the pain of stepping on a Lego.
My only question is, “Who the fuck is going to clean up the mess if I’m dead?”
Small kids, small problems!
De Profundis… Latin for “from the depths.”
Today’s quote is from a famous writer who went to jail for being homosexual. He overcame adversity and gained a different perspective on life afterwards.
Cleaning up Legos pales in comparison to being in an English jail one hundred and thirty years ago.
I still gained my own perspective to appreciate life and go with the flow.
If I could go back, I’d probably keep the yelling to a minimum. A four year old is going to make a mess.
Let’s just hope the messes are small when they are fifty eight.
Oscar Wilde was the gay guy imprisoned for digging dudes. He is worth a Google.
The night before the Fourth of July. A dress rehearsal for tomorrow’s fireworks extravaganza. Unless you have a neighbor that went to Indiana for boom booms two weeks ago. Then you’ve been celebrating our country’s birthday since June twenty-first!
Go be astonished and make sure you get to the weekend with ten fingers.