Sunday, July 7, 2024

July 7th, 2024

 I think the common fear among people in my age group is dying alone.

Both of my parents died alone. I’ve Chalked about their last moments and how I didn’t or couldn’t make it to be there.
The last thing my mom said to me was on the telephone…
…”Please don’t drive like a madman down I-65!”
My dad was on an iPad during Covid and with tubes in his nose he yelled at me….
…”I Love You... you magnificent son of a bitch!”
I don’t fear how I die. I just need someone to be there with me.
Selfishly, I’d like to have a quick ending. Though, when someone dies suddenly, they leave a large wake of grief.
When someone draws out their illness over a long time, the survivors are more relieved and the grief is lessened.
I’d like to have the gift of knowing when I die.
Did you ever see the movie “Bigfish” by Tim Burton out of 2003?
The main character looks into a witches eye when he was a kid and sees how his life ends. For the rest of his life he could take chances and live on the edge because he knew when and how he was going to die.
It’s a fun movie and a good book by Daniel Wallace. Consider it suggested for your next summer read.
Before the Shepkids watched that movie, I told them there was a witch in my neighborhood and I looked into her eye.
I told them that I die in my late eighties on Thanksgiving Day. I’m sitting in a La-Z-boy over by Hazel’s house watching the Bears game with her husband and all of the ShepGrandKids. Detroit ends up winning the football game. I end up falling asleep in the third quarter and didn’t see the end of my final Bears game.
Then my grandson, John, leans over and tells his Uncle Fritz that Grampa Jumbo is dead. Uncle Fritz tells John to wait until after dinner to tell everyone.
“Let’s tell them that Grampa wasn’t hungry and was taking a nap.”
That fun little JumboFable came to a screeching halt when we finally streamed "BigFish" about a year ago.
George blamed me for plagiarism.
Today’s quote says that courage is knowing what not to fear. Then my Chalkboard advice is not to waste time being fearful. You can’t sweat the little things and you sure as hell can’t stop big things from occurring.
Our Latin term today in the Grabber section means, “He conquers who conquers himself.”
Let’s end this Chalkboard…
….Don’t conquer yourself with fear!
Sunday Funday, it is the 7th day in July. The sun has a smile and the world is out there to astonish you.
You can either attack the day with gusto or sit back and watch shit do stuff.
Either way, just be happy and be kind to everyone….
…. even the assclowns