Tuesday, July 30, 2024

July 30th, 2024

 I woke up laying on my right side facing my bedroom window. Just at the top of the frame was the crescent moon. Ten minutes later and it would have been higher in the eastern sky and out of my picture.

I’m going to make it up and say that waking to the waning crescent moon is a good omen for a Tuesday. Especially the last Tuesday of the month.
The full moon in August is called the Sturgeon moon and this year it will be a Supermoon.
George came home yesterday from a train ride to Kenosha. It was his third trip up to the Wisconsin city this summer. They have an old streetcar line that he likes to ride and take pictures of.
He immediately plopped down on the sofa when he arrived home. When I asked him how his day went, he told me that he helped the motorman close all the windows on the streetcar when it started to rain heavy. Then reopen them when the rain stopped.
The trainman appreciated George’s help and that was probably all it took to make Big Shep’s day mo ‘betta.
Then he blurted out, “I gave some Chinese kid my phone to call his mom.”
This is where Don Shepley would have replied, “You gotta be shitting me!” Don Shepley’s son calmly asked his son how the fucked that happened.
“The kid dropped his phone and it wasn’t working, so I helped him. You always tell me to help people dad.”
By the grace of the Lord, the kid really did need to call his mom and didn’t try and run off with George’s iPhone.
I do tell the Shepkids to be kind and helpful to the world, but to be careful because the world can be a cruel motherfucker.
Ended up the kid was just like George and enjoyed taking pictures of trains.
“Where was the kid from George?”
and George quickly replied, “Chinatown, he was from Chinatown dad.”
and like any GenX father, I cheerfully sang back to my son, “Chickity China, the Chinese chicken. You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin’….”
Though not like the Barenaked Ladies, but more like Charlie Chan.
I loved watching Charlie Chan movies on WGN on rainy Sunday afternoons with my Oldman.
That was the Monday night adventure of being a Divorced Dad, just trying to make a living and doing the best I can…
Did I get you?
Are you humming some Allman Brothers right now? Much better than a Canadian rock band from the nineties.
It’s National Cheesecake Day. Last time I had a sliver was on my birthday with a couple plops of chocolate mousse. I still prefer a cannoli.
We are starting a chain of hot and humid days as we change the page on the 2024 calendar.
Make sure to hit your nooks and crannies with a nice dusting of the GoldBond….
….and make sure to hold the door open for senior citizens and help Chinese kids call their ma.