Thursday, July 18, 2024

July 18th, 2024

 I don’t think I’ve ever stopped reading fairy tales. I definitely never stopped watching cartoons.

My Oldman would get upset when his TV Guide disappeared on a Saturday morning. I had to make sure I put it back where it belonged so he could use it later in the day.
The thing is… he watched the same stupid stuff every Saturday afternoon and evening. He didn’t need the damn TV Guide.
But I did!
I would get a pen and mark which cartoons I liked, the time and the station. We didn’t have a shit ton of television stations in the seventies, but I definitely utilized three or four of them every week. Culminating on Channel Nine at eleven o’clock for Soul Train.
I’d do anything for a bowl of Captain Crunch Peanut Butter and Honeycomb right now. That was my very own concoction, half Captain Crunch and half Honeycomb. It was the perfect marriage of breakfast cereals.
I don’t want to go to work this morning.
I just wanna pour a bowl, grab a blanko and watch cartoonies. I was a huge “Hong Kong Phooey” kid.
A perfect Saturday morning was not hearing a parent yell from the kitchen, “Come and take this garbage out!”
Fifty year later and you’ll still catch me watching Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo and the Justice League. I don’t want to grow up, I’m a Toys R Us kid and an occasional cereal on a Saturday morning watching cartoons dad.
Though it is more expensive these days to buy a box of Captain Crunch and a box of Honeycombs. It might not be as expensive as a bottle of bourbon, but it’s right there with a case of Old Style.
Alright let’s get this fairy tale of a Thursday jump started. It is going to be a gorgeous day in Chicagoland.
A smile on the sun and no need for GoldBond in the nooks and crannies.
Be astonished today and be kind.
Oh and go Google what I left you in the Grabber section.