Monday, July 1, 2024

July 1st, 2024

 And before you know it, July is upon us.

Fourth of July is in my top five favorite holidays. I like all of the pomp and circumstance of it. The patriotic music, the parades, the barbecues and the fireworks.
Many of the Chalkheads that are my age can remember all of the hoopla given to the Bicentennial year when America was two hundred years old.
In two years, that will be fifty years ago. 2026 will be the Semiquincentennial celebration of the birth of America. Have fun saying that in forty eight months!
Semiquincentennial
If my mom and dad were around, I’d ask them to paint my room red, white and blue like they did in 1975.
My mom went the distance and painted my wooden dresser the colors of our flag. She busted her ass painting the dresser red, the drawers white and the knobs blue.
She ended up selling it for fifteen bucks at a garage sale in 1981. A patriotic dresser didn’t go well with my Farrah Fawcett and Bo Derek posters.
The grocery list today has apple pie, vanilla ice cream, bratwurst, potato salad, corn on the cob and watermelon on it.
Food plays a big part in my five favorite holidays. Thanksgiving being number one. Followed by Mardi Gras, Christmas, New Year’s Day and rounding out the top five, the Fourth of July.
Put out your American flag. Get the bunting out on the front stoop rails. Make sure the propane tank is gassed up.
My Oldman always made sure the batteries were fresh for his transistor radio and make sure to use a good lighter for the M-80’s.
America turns two hundred and forty eight this week. Let’s put our differences in Al Gore’s lockbox and crank up some Star Spangled Banner, some Aaron Copeland, some Gershwin, some Beach Boys, some Chicago and some Sly and the Family Stone.
Well, maybe I’m the only one who associates Brian Wilson, Peter Cetera and Sly with the Fourth?
Play your own Patriotic music, but be proud of America. It is a continuous work at progress and it’s our home.
If you look out your window before sunrise, you’ll get a great shot of the crescent moon rising over Chicago.
Be astonished and spread some love today.