Thursday, August 1, 2024

August 1st, 2024

 Get ready to hear this line a dozen times today…

…I can’t believe it’s already August 1st!
Soon the leaves will have that starched sound to them when the wind blows through the trees. Shadows are already crawling out from underneath and stretching across the fields. Pools will be covered and fire pits will be lit.
On August Eighth, my neighborhood will experience its last sunset after eight o’clock. Autumn is my favorite season, but with it follows sunsets at four thirty in the afternoon noon and I fucking dread sunsets at four thirty in the afternoon.
Tonight the Chicago Bears play a preseason game in Canton, Ohio. This weekend another member of that forty-six defense goes into the NFL Hall of Fame.
Remember all the magazines that came out in August before the start of the football season? Sports Illustrated, PRO, Athlon, Sporting News, Big10 Preview, Street and Smith's.
The joy of driving to the newspaper stand and your Oldman handing you a sawbuck for a couple football magazines. That was when my America was great, but that will never happen again.
My dad is gone, magazines are gone and the very few remaining newspaper stands don’t have much that ten bucks can buy.
I’m not going to let this month fly by and end non eventful. I’m not going to bitch and moan on Labor Day that I pissed away the month of August.
I’m going to enjoy the peak of construction season and the humidity of late summer. I’m going to enjoy the heat on my face and a cold gin and tonic in my glass…
…and I’m not going to fret about the White Sox losing 120 games in 2024.
Let’s get this eighth month of the year started. Put the smile on your sun and spread love like a disease around your world.