Wednesday, August 7, 2024

August 7th, 2024

 Several events occurred yesterday that will change the lives of three men that I know.

One of my colleagues returned to work yesterday wearing a wedding band on his finger. From now on when he leaves for work in the morning, he will be leaving his bride, not his girlfriend, not his fiancée.
I also learned that a dear friend will be giving his daughter’s hand away in marriage in the near future. Just yesterday I was invited to this little girl’s one year old birthday party in a park up on the north shore.
Sunrise, Sunset… swiftly flow the years.
The last thing that happened yesterday isn’t so wonderful.
Another guy that I work with lost his wife. She had fallen ill within the last couple weeks. They had been married for thirty years and raised three children together.
Two happy events and a sad one. All three will drastically change these three men’s lives forever.
A husband, a future father-in-law and a widower.
I’ve been a husband. I might be a father-in-law someday, but I’ll never be a widower.
I lost my wife, but I was no longer in love with her when it happened. My colleague lost his wife while they were still deeply in love.
I want to file a complaint with whoever is in charge of things like this.
I don’t find it fair that a man has to lose the love of his life. Someone who shared his struggles. Someone who shared his triumphs and someone who gave him three children to raise into adulthood…
…then she is taken away when it’s time to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
One of the guys on the trading floor said it best yesterday. He said he can understand that we have to go through the loss of our parents at this time in our lives, but not the loss of a spouse.
I just don’t get it, but it’s not for me to understand. When I go to heaven, the guy in charge is going to say, “alright, what did you want to ask me?”
….and I’m going to look around and see that we are all back together and reply to that Eternal Supervisor…
“Nothing, my questions have all been suddenly answered.”
The cycles of life bring us both happiness and pain. Sometimes the pain seems to play a larger part. We need to keep moving forward until the day comes when we all stand around a keg together.
I like that thought…
Someday we will all be at a kegger listening to Sinatra off on a nearby cloud.
Until that day comes, keep on keepin’ on.
It’s Humpday already. It’s going to be a gorgeous day and the White Sox ended their twenty-one game losing streak.
Be astonished…