Thursday, August 15, 2024

August 15th, 2024

   The dog days of summer are burning the lawns and starching the leaves. Flower pots are starting to look spiny as the annuals get closer to the first frost.

There is still plenty of summer left. We should have some eighties in September. A couple seventies in October and let’s hope some sixties in November and fifties in December.
As a Catholic kid, the Feast of the Assumption was the yearly reminder that school was getting near. I can hear my mom saying,
“We need to pick up John’s school uniforms this week.”
The Virgin Mary is ascending to heaven and I’m heading to the school uniform section at Sears. I just hope nobody from my class is there at the same time or they’ll know that I wear husky sizes.
The Feast of the Assumption is the stop watch from “Sixty Minutes” that marks the end of summer.
When you hear the….
Tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic
….you know the weekend is over. When Mary dies and goes to heaven, Catholic kids know the summer is over.
It’s Thursday… give someone a call out of the blue and tell them…
“I was thinking about you and how much I love you.”
Those eleven words can brighten up someone’s day….
….and make them feel astonished.