Friday, August 2, 2024

August 2nd, 2024

  I drew up the Chalkboard this morning with the intention of giving some advice on marriage to a younger guy who is tying the knot soon.

The opening line was going to be…
… you probably don’t want marriage pointers from someone who is happily divorced, but this is what I did wrong.
Once I sat down to chalk, I realized that this kid is on his own.
Two times in my life when I was given a shit ton of advice happened when I was getting married and when I was about to become a father.
I’m living in the Divorced Dad District of Riverside, so the marriage tips went straight to the crapper.
Parent advice can help with the foundation of fatherhood, but most of the time it’s all about calling audibles and patience.
I’m going to write a paragraph or two on lost friendship.
I had a buddy that I met in Indianapolis when I was thirteen. He was an introvert and I was a loud mouth troublemaker. We balanced each other out.
We remained close into our late twenties/early thirties and started to fizzle out. He was married and I’m not sure his wife enjoyed my truculent style. I was up the highway living the daily routine of a crazy Board of Trade guy. We had less in common as we aged.
Our friendship happened at the right time in our lives. Everyone cherishes the childhood friendships that last a lifetime and college friendships that last half a lifetime…
…but what about the friendships that quickly get you from point A to point B?
We don’t give that type of friendship the attention it deserves.
A friendship can fizzle because of many circumstances, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t help with the building of our foundation.
Today that one friend that meant a lot to me during a tough patch of time, turns sixty.
My Oldman loved this kid and nicknamed him Gallipoli… if Don Shepley gave you a nickname, you were a decent person.
Happy Sixtieth Gallipoli, we’re going to the Superbowl, going to the Superbowl!
All the friendships we experience are important… they are part of that curriculum that builds the straight F’s in life…
FOUNDATION: FAITH, FAMILY and FRIENDS.
Alright Chalkheads, it’s Friday…
…Go get straight F’s and be astonished.