Monday, August 7, 2023

August 7th, 2023

      Why is it that on February 7th we are looking at months of winter still upon us? Though on August 7th we are seeing pumpkin spice commercials and thinking about getting the sweaters and sweatshirts out of the bin in the back of the closet.

We just completed the hottest July in the history of the world. Every meteorologist on television told us that our summers will continue to get warmer and warmer.
I was waiting for Rod Serling to walk out from behind Tom Skilling’s weather map.
“This is WGN, Channel Nine in Chicago…. And you have entered into the Twilight Zone.”
Instead of pools shutting down on Labor Day, you’ll be going to a costume pool party in Schaumburg for Halloween. However, be prepared to wear your winter coat on Easter Sunday next March.
…this is the Twilight Zone!
I don’t feel sorry for the guys I know that moved to Texas and Arizona recently. I don’t miss hearing them bitch and moan about shoveling snow. I don’t miss hearing them cry that someone stole their ironing board from their dibs parking spot.
I just want Phil from Beverly to know that they don’t have a Joey’s Red Hots in Phoenix.
…and Andy from Aurora, they don’t have a Vito and Nicks in Austin, Texas.
You boys wanted to move to the heat of the south. You even made sure there was a hotdog stand near your new home.
… and that they do have pizza by your house in the desert.
Now when you text me, you cry that the hotdogs suck in San Antonio. The last time you called, you bitched and moaned that the pizza tastes like crap in Tucson.
The one thing you forgot to mention was the thirty six days in a row that it was over one hundred degrees!!!
I think I’m good with the occasional blizzard. I’ll be fine waking up earlier to knock the snow off Betty the Green Blazer in January.
Just as long as I can order a sausage tavern style pizza from Labarra on a Friday night. Just as long as I can sit outside of Parky’s on a Saturday afternoon and eat hotdogs with the Shepkids!
I love the long winters and the short summers in Chicagoland. I’m staying in the grid where the streets are flat and the hotdogs have gardens. I’m not straying from the Lake that has a drive and the pizza is square.
"Home is where I want to be. Pick me up and turn me round!"
Turn me round and hand me a shovel! It’s going to snow in three and a half months!
It’s Monday and the weekly standings are on the subject line for today’s Morning Chalkboard…
Keep up the pace on the Northside boys of blue. Try not getting punched in the mouth boys in the pale hose.
The fans up on Clark and Addison might have an extended season this autumn. The fans down in Bridgeport are putting their Bear flags out on the stoop already.
Fire up Chicago!
We have two baseball teams, the best hot dogs in the world and neighborhoods with thin crusts.
Let’s play two………





Look at last year’s Morning Chalkboard and realize… sometimes it’s alright to wait until next season! Talking to you, Cub fans!