Thursday, August 3, 2023

August 3rd, 2023

     I work with a guy who is a few years older than me. He’s the youngest of a bunch of kids and their mom is almost 100. They all split time during the week to take care of their matriarch.

The guys in our office put together a boat trip out on the lake for Friday. One of the guys in our trading office asked Joe if he was going on Friday and he said,
“Nope….. I gotta take care of Momma!”
There was no sound of regret or disappointment in the tone of his voice. In fact he had a big smile on his face. He didn’t care if he was missing an evening on a luxurious boat out on Lake Michigan during a beautiful summer evening in Chicago.
He’s going to make dinner and watch the Cubs game with his Momma. Then Joe will help her change into her pajamas and tuck her into bed.
Lake Michigan will still be here next summer, but Joe’s momma might be in heaven.
Today would have been Cecilia Marie’s eighty sixth birthday. I’m not half the man Joe from work is because if my Ma was still alive I’d be out on Lake Michigan with an Old Style in my hand.
So many of us in my age group are grieving with the loss of their parents. Many of us have taken the responsibility of caring for them as they prepare to leave.
My mom and dad are both in heaven, but not a day goes by that I’m not shooting the shit with them. My mom still nags me from heaven and my dad loves to laugh at me when I’m having a moment.
Any kind of moment…. Stuck in traffic, pissed at the Shepkids, getting slammed at work or laying naked next to a lady.
My dad is always there for every awkward moment.
My mom is like a “Hail Mary” and will show up when I find myself in times of trouble.
Our parents never die as long as our soul is alive with their memories. At least that is how I defeat any grief that I have.
Happy Birthday Ma…. enjoy your cake and all the beauty that heaven provides. I’m happy that your sadness no longer threatens your heart.
Bonus if you know today’s quote without the help of Google or Siri!