Sunday, August 27, 2023

August 24th, 2023

      I had the first spot in the pickup line on Hazel’s first day of school yesterday. Sitting there in her glory was Betty the Green Blazer with her “I love hot moms” bumper sticker.

Car number one with Hazel Shepley’s dad sweating his ass off on a hundred degree afternoon. Seat reclined and straw fedora over my eyes and beads of sweat running down my back.
I pick the redheads up after school on Wednesdays. I bragged last year how lucky I was that it was never cold during the winter on Wednesdays. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut?
Hazel walks out of the middle school entrance full of pride. She shot me that Cocky Shepley Glance as she walked over to Betty and me.
When she got into the car she turned to me and said,
“Dad? Please tell me you got the air conditioner charged up?”
No…. “Hi dad, I’m so excited!” Or “I’m so happy to see you on my first day of school dad!”
Instead my ten year old daughter busted my chops about getting the air conditioning fixed on Betty the Green Blazer.
Today is going to be another cooker. I’ll be riding around town with the windows down and WDCB blasting baby.
Today is National Waffle Day. I like blueberries in my waffles. Though my favorite kind of waffle is a wide receiver down at DePauw, Colin “Waffle” Grace.
Play well this year Waffle and keep the Monon Bell out of Wabash hands.