Thursday, March 9, 2023

March 9th, 2023

        I liked today’s quote when I picked it out. Once I saw it up on the chalkboard, I realized I just made my morning difficult. It would be very hard not to get into politics, civil rights, and justice with this quote.  

                  So, before I start talking about meatballs I’m just going to say one word…..

            Respect. 

           Half of you just started singing some Aretha Franklin. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.
                           If we want to bring ourselves into 2024 and get distance from the Covid Era, we must work on respecting each other.  Respect each other and maybe we can finish this decade with some peace and understanding.
                                    Okay…… it’s National meatball day. I’ve come a long way with my relationship with meatballs. From those first little meatballs simmering in brown gravy in my mom’s crockpot to a meatball sandwich wrapped tightly in several layers of white deli paper.      
           Many years ago, I stood on the rail of the five-year note pit with an eight inch Fontanos. It had hot giardiniera and mozzarella folded neatly around three luscious balls of meat. Just enough red gravy to coat the meat and Italian bread.
I unwrapped this deli delight and started to devour it right there in the trading pit. Bite by bite, no crumbs or sauce hit the ground. I kept a stack of napkins in the pocket of my trading coat. Just In case…..
     One hand was a Fontanos meatball sub and the other hand were bids and offers. I was quoting the market to a wall of customers and enjoying a sandwich simultaneously.
                   Food wasn’t allowed on the floor, so I had to be cautious of any guards lurking around. Eating on the trading floor was a five hundred dollar fine.
       Slowly my sandwich was disappearing as the market was three bid at four, trading fours, four bid, fours trading back offered at four.
            The fingers of my left hand never missed the market go four bid. While my right hand was holding my lunch tightly.
             The customers on the trading floor were quietly watching me do my job and eat a meatball sub. Never missing the beat or making a mess. Fortunately, this was before cell phones with cameras, or I would be on YouTube to this day.
            Phone clerks standing at their desks on the floor were quoting their customers. They were also explaining to them that their five-year arb clerk was eating a Chicago delicacy. The entire financial community was watching the interest rates and me eat my lunch.
              Morgan Bank, Merrill Lynch, Deutsche Bank and Goldman Sachs were all informed of the meatball sub getting devoured while the yield curve was bending behind me.
           Once I took that last bite. That last piece of crusty bread covered in red gravy. Clean fingers, clean chin, clean trading pit. I balled up the white deli paper and threw it in the garbage can and the floor erupted in ovation.
             That entire side of the Board of Trade bond room cheered for what they just witnessed. I filled a dozen orders, quoted the market and destroyed an eight-inch meatball sub from Fontanos.
          From a little boy eating Swedish meatballs on Christmas Eve to an arb clerk quoting a financial futures contract. Meatballs have been a passion that evoke fond memories.
          So after yesterday’s difficult National Women’s Day treat yourself to a meatball sandwich.
            Six inches is too small. Twelve is too much. Peppers are a must, and a slice of cheese holds it together better.
                                          Happy Thursday Chalkheads! 

               Chicagoland has another massive snowstorm approaching. Let’s hope it’s like the ten inches we received last week.