Wednesday, March 29, 2023

March 29th, 2023

 I picked this quote with the intention of writing about the latest tragedy that happened this week in Nashville. I’m not going to open that can of worms.

I’d love to go into how Tuesday was a horseshit kind of day. This Chalkboard’s purpose is supposed to be therapeutic for me. I’m just going to say it’s hard co parenting with someone suffering with mental illness.
Today is National Mom and Pop Business Day. The backbone of America. An institution that has been through a tough period due to Covid and Amazon.
Everyone knows my passion for hotdogs and pizza. If I’m getting a hotdog I don’t go to Portillos. Portillos is a corporation that isn’t even a Chicago business anymore.
I love the story how Dick Portillo started with nothing and lived the American dream. Let people in Louisville or Omaha or Phoenix enjoy his low quality knockoffs.
If you live in Chicagoland you need to get your hotdog from a Mom and Pop joint. It’s time to give a another family a shot at the American dream.
When I want a hotdog I go to Parkys, Pete’s or Little Joes.
Pizza….. we have so many great choices for pizza in Chicagoland. Giordonas, Aurielos and Lou Malnatis are not those choices. Let them send their cardboard ketchup through mail order to Taiwan and Texas. I can’t list my pizza places because I have so many choices.
All I will suggest is to find a place within a mile of your front porch. Make sure they have a great oven and see if they have kids going to a school in the neighborhood.
This is your pizza place!
It’s humpday and your mission is to have a meal at your favorite Mom and Pop restaurant. Italian, Mexican, Polish, Bohemian, German and Oriental. Go Local and help a business in the neighborhood. Don’t give your money to a conglomerate located in Boston.
Let’s not leave retail out of todays intentions. I know our choices have dwindled this last decade. Here is the other Humpday assignment…. buy local!
Post your suggestions…. Give a shout out to a local business that you support.
….and I guess the Morning Chalkboard ended up being therapeutic after all. I talked about hotdogs and pizzas rather than my problems and school shootings.
Though the problems didn’t go away. My day will start with a skip in my step and a smile between my chubby cheeks.