Tuesday, March 7, 2023

March 7th, 2023

         I have the three Shepkids assigned to Guardian Angels. My mom and Gramma cover Hazel. My dad has Fritz and my Grampa the Baker has George. This gives me the confidence to send them into the dangerous world of Chicagoland Suburbia.

I had a Great Aunt Barbara who was my Grampa John’s sister. Grampa John is the baker who watches George. Let’s not get Aunt Barbara confused with Aunt B who is Barbie, my mom’s sister.
Aunt Barbara was a nurse at the Old Saint Vincent’s in Indianapolis. She was probably born in the late 1890’s and was retired by the time I came on the scene.
She lived in a small apartment in a building on the near Northside of Indianapolis. the neighborhood was turning “colored” when I met Aunt Barbara.
Her building was from the old black and white era of movies and television. It had a three person elevator that scared the living shit out of me. It was a cage on a rope more or less.
Aunt Barbara had an apartment that wasn’t made for a young boy. She did have a porcelain cigarette holder with thin chocolate cigarettes in it. She never let her great nephew have one though.
I hated when we had to go to Aunt Barbara’s. It was boring, it was depressing, it was a living mausoleum. She was a single retired nurse. I often heard a whispered word, “lesbian” spoken about Aunt Barbara. She was strict, always well dressed and very Catholic.
One time I was being a jag off when she was visiting her niece Cecilia up in Chicago. She picked open my bedroom door and took it off and put my door in the hallway.
I didn’t like this Aunt Barbara. Aunt Barbara died in 1980 when I was in eighth grade. Man, I was so happy we never had to go to Aunt Barbara’s apartment ever again.
I often thought if Aunt Barbara was a little younger or lived a little longer…. She would have been one of my favorites. Unfortunately that didn’t happen.
Sooooooo, last night when I was praying to the host of dead relatives, Aunt Barbara stopped by to say hello.
I thought this was perfect.
“Aunt Barbara, can you do me a favor?”
“Can you keep your heavenly eye on my ex wife?
“She’s in a bad period in her life and needs the guidance of a retired nurse who might have liked other nurses.”
Aunt Barbara accepted the job and is now my ex wife’s new Guardian Angel.
Yes…. I just prayed to my dead Great Aunt to watch over my ex wife. It’s a match made in heaven.
Maybe Aunt Barbara won’t bogart all the chocolate cigarettes with the Shepkids mom?
I’m a firm believer in this program that heaven offers. The deceased relatives guardian Angel program has been a God sent for me.
We all have relatives in heaven that get bored with eternal peace. You should get them back involved and sign them up to watch your back. Watch your children when you can’t.
Think about it…. Pray about it….
It really does give you the security that you need.
Do you recognize today’s quote? One of the co writers just passed away. One of my favorite Lynyrd Skynyrd songs.
The Worm moon passes over us today. The March clouds are not cooperating with our view.
In fact March is scheduled to act like late February these next few days.
I wish I had a dead uncle that was a meteorologist. I could pray to him about the weather I don’t like….
“Baby, be a simple kind of man…..”