Friday, March 31, 2023

March 31st, 2023

    My parents had to take me to the emergency room when I was around seven. This was the first time that I had to get an x-ray. The technician took me into the cold room with the scary machine.

It was like one of the science fiction movies my dad watched on channel nine after my bedtime. I was sitting alone on the cold table with a heavy blanket over my legs. The mad scientist left the room and lights flashed and the big machine made a loud noise.
The x-ray was taken and Doctor Frankenstein took me back to my parents. I was snuggling real tight with my mommy when the doctor came in with the plastic sheet with my picture.
The doctor slipped it into a light on the wall and explained grown up stuff to my parents.
I was scared.
The doctor left the room suddenly and in doing so left the picture of my chest and tummy in his doo-hickey.
My dad turned the light back on and said,
“Moose, if you take a closer look at this picture you can see your soul.”
I popped up quickly to see my soul. This was something I learned about at school and church.
“Here it is right here son.”
I looked at the blurry white blob that sat in the middle of the picture. I couldn’t make it out, but since my dad said it was my soul…. It was my soul.
Then my mom stood up and said she could see it and if you take a closer look you could see something else around my soul.
“Don, do you see this right here?”
My mom pointed at the blurry object.
“Here is the Holy Spirit surrounding John’s soul.”
“You’re right Cecilia! That is the Holy Spirit!”
My dad turned off the light showing my x-ray and turned to me with his big smile.
“Moose…. You have the Holy Spirit inside you. This picture confirms it.”
From that day forward I knew that all the stuff we learned in religion class was true.
I had a soul and inside my soul was the Holy Spirit. I got home from the hospital and the monster under my bed was gone. The ghoul in the closet was gone and the scary shadow on my bedroom window was just a tree limb. The robot arm smashing into my window every night when I was sleeping disappeared.
The best part of that x-Ray was the confidence I gained over Satan and his asshole demons. The devil could never bother me again.
I have the Holy Spirit living in my tummy!
The memory of that hospital visit has always been with me. It became part of the Faith that strengthened my Foundation. From that day I was a Christian Soldier more powerful than any monster or robot or devil.
Someday when I die I’ll leave this sexy body behind and my soul will rejoin my mom and dad. I’ll tell my dad that I figured out that he was bullshiting me that day in the hospital. Then he’ll walk me over to the hill overlooking the Eternal Kingdom and say,
“Does this look like bullshit to you son?”
.....and I’ll reply, “Is there a hotdog stand somewhere down there dad?”
That’s my Holy Spirit story.
I have hope because of that Holy Ghost and it was strengthened with a White Sox win last night.
It’s a great morning in Chicagoland when both teams win the first game of the year.
My feet hit the ground this morning and I looked down at the devil. One hand on my chest and the other one flipping off Satan.
Happy Friday Chalkheads!