Wednesday, March 22, 2023

March 22nd, 2023

 Today’s quote comes from the speech at the end of the movie “The Great Dictator.” The movie and the line were written by Charlie Chaplin. The movie was a satirical poke at hitler. It came out in 1940 when the nazi prick was taking over Europe.

(Note to editor: If someday the Morning Chalkboard becomes a book. Don’t correct the capitalization in the first paragraph. Those words stay lowercase.)
Chaplin nailed it, the world needs more kindness and gentleness.
No advice today. No touching stories today. Yesterday I had to post a dreaded obituary. Seems the older I get the more obituaries I recognize.
I read a book in high school called “Spoon River Anthology.” I think it was in your class John Young?
The book was written in 1915 by Edgar Lee Masters. It is filled with short verse poems. Each one is an epitaph for a resident in the town of Spoon River. It was a style of literature that caught my interest.
After we read the book we had to write epitaphs of people in our lives. It was a great assignment. I guess it prepared me for yesterday’s Chalkboard.
Our assignment this month is to watch “The Great Dictator” and read a copy of “Spoon River Anthology.”
Hurry up and get that done before baseball season starts.
Another tradition that I have is tied to the start of the baseball season. I try to read “The Natural” by Bernard Malamud every Spring. If you liked the movie, you’ll love the book.
When you read it you will think of Camelot. The book has an Arthurian theme. Roy Hobbs' bat was made from a tree struck by lightning. It is the sword in the stone. He plays for a team called “The Knights.” The entire book is full of symbolism that all came to light when I first read it in John Wieland’s creative writing class.
Alright it’s Wednesday…. Though the banker never wears a Mack in the pouring rain
…..and yes, that is very strange!
Bring your Mack these next few days. March will be March and rain is in the forecast.
And one more thing….. two more things.
…..Be Kind and call someone from the past. Invite them for a bowl of gumbo at Shanahans before one of you kicks the bucket.