Friday, June 2, 2023

May 31st, 2023

 One of the most important gifts a parent can teach their child is the art of meeting friends. When I was a young man I marveled at all the great friends that I had….

And then my dad brought me back to reality.
“Son…. You need to learn the difference between an acquaintance and a friend. You also need to know the difference between a friend and a close friend.”
Only life can define these categories and through life friendships come and go.
I look back at the eras in my life.
The Chicago era, The Indianapolis era, The Oak Park era, The Saint Cletus era (formerly known as married years) and my Riverside era.
Through the eras I went from school to the Board of Trade…
…and through life I’ve accumulated a foundation of friendship that I probably don’t deserve.
A good friend told me yesterday I wear my emotions out where everyone can see them. Out of the blue he just wanted to make sure I was doing alright. A well being check.
This is a friend from the Riverside era, but it is the support from every era in my life that keeps me in check. Along with those friends and my family and my faith I‘ll continue to thrive as time defines the last eras of life.
For it is Faith and Friendship and Family that helps us conquer our fears.
Humpday already…. These next few weeks the shadows are directly under the trees. Always appreciate the lengths of the shadows…. Either from sunlight or moonlight. The moon is building up into the next full moon. The June full moon is the Strawberry Moon.
Enjoy the short shadows, they’ll be long and cold sooner than you realize.