Monday, June 12, 2023

June 10th, 2023

 I think an end of an era is happening? Hazel didn’t crawl into Dad’s bed in the middle of the night. My little girl doesn’t need to go to the safest place in her world anymore.

I laid in bed this morning all alone thinking about what my life would be like if I moved to New Orleans in 2000.
I probably wouldn’t have met 50% of you guys. I wouldn’t have the Shepkids
…instead of a balcony in Riverside I might have had coffee on a balcony in the French Quarter this morning.
I would have been in NOLA on 9/11 and also during Katrina. I would have been confined to my home on Magazine Street during Covid. Instead of being Jumbo living in the Divorced Dad District in Riverside I would be Jumbo from Chicago.
We make so many decisions during our lifetime that change the direction we take. When we were young our parents made so many decisions for us that carved the path we have taken.
The whole time we go from day to day all heading to the same destination. Hopefully
Twenty three years ago I was going to take a job writing obituaries for the Times-Picayune. I was going to find a place near the Saint Charles Streetcar line and I was going to wear linen suits everyday.
Instead I wear jeans and t-shirts and drive around Chicagoland in Betty the Green Blazer.
Today’s quote is by Moliere and as true as it is… that’s not the way to look at life. Never look at life as another day of dying. Look at life as another day of living.
I wonder what life would be like if I woke up this morning and walked over to Cafe duMonde for some beignets. I’ll never know because I’m going to make pancakes instead for the Shepkids.
I’ll never meet Sidney, Rufus and Bertha. Because I love George, Fritz and Hazel…
…it’s Black Cow Day!
Make sure to grab some Barqs and some ice cream at the A&P today.