Friday, June 9, 2023

June 8th, 2023

 I was sitting around the dining room table last night with George and Fritz. We were talking about giving someone another chance.

George didn’t want any part of it. He was headstrong that second chances only turn into third chances. Fritz turned to George and told him today’s quote, but George wasn’t going to budge.
I told the boys about Nick Saban when he was a young coach up at Michigan State. Coach Saban gave a player a second chance. Took a ton of shit for it from the press, the school and the fans, but Saban wouldn’t budge. He stuck with his principles and gave the kid a second chance.
That kid graduated from State, played football in the NFL for fifteen years. After he retired from football he became the president of his own company and he has watched his own children graduate from college.
"Moose" Muhammad might not have ever accomplished all of his success if he wasn’t given that second chance.
George stood up at the end of my story and said, “I don’t like football and I don’t believe in second chances” and walked into his room.
I’ve learned a lot being a single father of a son on the spectrum. A year ago I would have asked George if he was listening at all to my story. Today I let George walk away because I know he went to his room and was doing a “fact check” on my story and thinking how to give someone a second chance.
Fritz looked at me and asked, “Do you think George will ever give Mom another chance?”
I replied that I didn’t know, but that the Fritz quote made the Thursday Morning Chalkboard. That made him smile.
The Shep brothers might not remember my Nick Saban story, but it was a better seed to plant than just yelling at them at how many second fucking chance I’ve handed out to them since they’ve been around.
The weather today isn’t bacon frying with an over easy egg. It is supposed to be a sunny day that is hampered by the Canadian wildfire smoke.
Hey… it’s already Thursday. Be kind and give a second chance. Unless it’s someone not using a turn signal. No second chances for them!