Sunday, June 4, 2023

June 4th, 2023

 I look back at the BLM riots in late May of 2020 with a little regret. The looting and rioting was going on just up the block at the mall. It could have easily spilled into our neighborhood and I was worried that I could be a target.

So I took down the American flag that I fly on the balcony. My logic was the flag represented everything the rioters and looters hated, so I took it down.
It’s already the fourth of June, pride month and here I am in another conundrum. Do I hang my Gay Pride flag up on the balcony like I have since I moved to Riverside? That flag and what it stands for is under some controversy this summer.
Usually I fly one on the pole and put a couple little ones in my flower pots. I did it out of love for my friends and a family member that played for the opposite side. It also pissed the fuck out of my ex wife and that is always a bonus.
I like flags. I have a good collection that I fly throughout the year. The main one is Old Glory and she’s up most of the time between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
I have the Mardi Gras flag that shows justice, faith and power. I have a peace sign flag which is strange for a Republican to fly. So it’s really crazy that I own a Pride flag.
I have the Chicago flag that represents mustard on a hotdog. I have an England flag for Saint George’s Day and a Union Jack Flag for all things Britain. Scotland, Germany and Ireland flags are in the flag inventory. I have a White Sox, a Bears, a New Orleans Saints, a Pacers, a Westham and a Blackhawks flag for the teams I follow.
I even have a Confederate Flag. I bought it over thirty years ago when I was on a trip down south. I don’t think I could ever be in the klan. Even if I wore a pointy hood my big ass would give me away. That big sexy would stick out like a sore thumb in that white cape.
Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with Jane. Jane plays with Willy, Willy is happy again. Suki plays with Leo, Sacha plays with Britt. Adolf builds a bonfire, Enrico plays with it. Jumbo flies his pride flag and nobody will give a shit.
I think I’m going to stick with the one flag that makes me cry. The one that hangs low during “Taps.” The one we all should fly. The flag that should fly for them Pride folks and them BLM folks. The flag that represents both Democrats and Republicans. The flag that stands for the Irish in Bridgeport and Beverly. The flag that waves for the Latinos in Pilsen and Humboldt Park. The Polish in Portage Park. The Blacks in Bronzeville. The Germans in Lincoln Square and the Jews up in Rodgers Park.
Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet. That’s the flag flying in the morning breeze on this glorious Sunday. I will put a small pride flag in my tomato pot this month. Tomatoes are a fruit, aren’t they?
Just kidding Uncle Ralph!
First Sunday of the Pride month of June. Great day for a cold Fritzicuffs from BuckleDown and the ballgame on the radio. Get yourself some good gettin' today and have a strong week.
….and never let assclowns help you decide on what flag to fly!