Friday, June 2, 2023

June 2nd, 2023

 The Valedictorian of my high school class went to the Naval Academy and became a nuclear submarine commander. That made me better just being in the same class.

Last night my son Fritz graduated from middle school. The kid that gave the commencement speech has an incredible story. When he was born I was coaching football with his father. He was born with cystic fibrosis. This kid was in and out of surgery for the first few years of his life.
The last few years his father has been gravely ill. In and out of surgery during this young man’s middle school years.
Just being in the same class makes Fritz Shepley a better kid.
I was so impressed with the maturity of the whole class as they waited for their diplomas on a hot and humid June evening.
What also impressed me was the speech the principal gave. One thing in particular, today’s Morning Chalkboard quote.
It made me realize that I’ve been a tourist throughout my life more than a traveler.
So I slept on it….
I’ve been to most of the continental United States, Mexico, Canada, Europe and the Caribbean. But I went there as a tourist. My only traveling has mostly been to hot dog joints, newsstands or bakeries. I’ve traveled to old Comiskey Park and The Chicago Stadium. I’ve seen Soldier Field before it was destroyed by an alien toilet.
I’ve traveled to restaurants that no longer exist. I’ve been in schools that have closed, churches that have closed. Buildings that have been torn down. Neighborhoods that have been gentrified.
I’ve been to Kiddie Land and Old Chicago. I listened to the blues and bought a Polish at the old Maxwell Street market. I’ve traveled all around Chicagoland and I’m satisfied with that.
I’m okay being a neighborhood guy. I’m good with having my local grocery store, convenient store, tavern, pizza parlor and cigar shop.
I like getting on the Lake Street elevated train and going into the loop. I like getting on the Ike and going to the beach. I like getting on the Stevenson and going out to the rugby pitch. I like going up River road and getting a dog at Gene and Jude’s.
I’m proud to say I got buzzed into Gennaro’s and stood at the Berghoff stand up bar before they put stools in it.
I’m a traveler because I cherish what I have in life. Seeing the Eiffel Tower as a tourist is a waste compared to watching a bridge go up over the Chicago River. As long as seeing the sailboats float down stream makes you happy.
Today is National Donut Day. The best donut that I’ve traveled for is located at Oak Park Bakery. A simple chocolate donut made fresh down the street.
Happy Friday Chalkheads…. Grab your GoldBond and finish this short week with a bang. Full moon weekend…. Get crazy, get naked and get some strong moonshine. From the moon and not a still in the woods.