Monday, November 28, 2022

November 24th, 2022

 Thanksgiving starts out like it does every year, no matter who I am with or where I’m at. I listen to the “December” album by George Winston. The first song on the album is “Thanksgiving.” A simple song played on the piano that simplifies the happiness and sorrow today brings to me.

I pulled the curtains open in my living room this morning to find great delight. I was greeted by the little Christmas tree in the apartment window across the street. This is the second year in a row the tree has lived there. Someday I’ll figure out who plugs that tree in and tell them the joy it brings to me.
Today is supposed to be overcast, but the early glow of sunrise is creeping into Chicagoland. I’ll take a moment of morning light before the gray skies set the background for TurkeyBowls.
Soon front yards and play grounds will be filled with Uncles wearing Dick Butkus jerseys and second cousins donning number thirty fours.
I miss my mom making breakfast while I watch the Thanksgiving parades. I miss my Gramma perfecting the day and reminding me what being thankful is through her generational eyes. I miss my dad making a turkey sandwich before bedtime on what he called balloon bread. Balloon bread was what he called cheap store bought white bread.
The list of what I’m thankful for is long, but know many of you reading this are on that list.
I will say today I’m thankful for getting straight F’s.
FOUNDATION: FAITH, FAMILY and FRIENDS. On this day we add FOOD and FOOTBALL.
I will also say that I’m thankful that three people that I love are softly breathing in their beds while I listen to George Winston.
May God be with you today. Let love and joy surround you and your people on this Thursday in November. Give your belt an extra inch of comfort after you push away from your feast.
Gentlemen born before 1975… you are not Walter Payton. Don’t try to hurdle your nephew for extra yards.
Happy Thanksgiving to all my people.