Monday, November 28, 2022

November 23rd, 2022

 Last summer I enjoyed my evening cocktail on the balcony. I’d watch the world walk by. On a good night I’d see five to ten people walking their dogs. Kids shuffling by having fun doing stupid stuff and several food delivery guys double parked.

Most nights two couples would walk under my festive perch. A young couple pushing a stroller with a new baby. Some nights the baby was sleeping, some night’s crying and often nestled in his daddy’s arms as mom pushed the empty stroller.
New parents with that dumbfounded look on their faces and circles under their eyes. I often caught them looking at each other in awe. Still stunned by the love they created.
The other couple that walked across my stoop was an older couple, slowed by life. the gentleman’s shoulders slumped over and a limp in his step. His wife, often wore a light sweater though the heat of the day was still felt. They walked in unison sometimes silent, sometimes chatting and a few times laughing and smiling. Every night holding hands. Hands that they’ve probably held for many years.
Here I was sipping my Manhattan and watching the path of life. A young couple in the infancy of their love and an older couple enjoying the passion of years in love. I’ve experienced the former timing of love, but I will miss out on the latter relationship.
When Terri abandoned the redheads last summer I lost a lot of freedom. I had slim pickings for that moment to myself. I started a weekly routine on late Tuesday afternoons.
I ordered BOGO pizzas from LaBarra for takeout. I’d leave right after placing the order and run over to get them. This would give me about thirty seven minutes of JumboTime. I would detour at the bar and have a gin martini often running into a friend or an acquaintance.
I started running into a couple that had their own Tuesday routine. They were out having a Blue Hair Special all to themselves. They had their happy hour cocktail and would split an appetizer and a dinner special.
Being the introvert that I am I started to get to know them. They raised their family in Riverside and now enjoy the retirement of empty nesters.
I really enjoyed that quick martini and chatting with Karl and Lois on Tuesdays. Once my martini was finished I would grab my pepperoni pizza and my cheese pizza and race home to the Shepkids. They never noticed dad was gone as they shouted “Pizza!”
Last night was a sunny afternoon. I saw the young couple with their beautiful baby and I saw the elderly couple wearing hats and gloves. I ran over to Labarra for the buy one get one free pizzas. I had a quick cocktail and I wished Karl and Lois a Happy Thanksgiving.
I thought the Freddy Tenny quote was perfect this morning after seeing the three couples from the Summer of ‘22.
Enjoy this beautiful sunny day. Don’t overindulge tonight….