Saturday, May 25, 2024

May 25th, 2024

    Yesterday was humbling for me.

I’ve made it no secret that my oldest son is on the autistic spectrum. It took me years to take my canoe out of the river of denial, but once I accepted it, I became a better man and definitely a better father.
Since I chalk about parenting and autism, I have had many Chalkheads come out and support me. I’ve also experienced many that are in the same boat that I am in and appreciate my frankness and openness.
The first lesson in humility….
I want to give a shoutout to those dedicated to special education.
George graduated yesterday in an abandoned Catholic school that is rented out by the local organization that supports students with disabilities, LADSE.
Nine students were in his graduating class. Nine special needs students, nine families of special needs students and a group of dedicated teachers and staff.
Teachers and staff that were emotional as they sent their students into the world. I witnessed the passion that these educators possess. I witnessed the love that they have for George and George’s eight classmates. All of them touched nine different ways with a special gift from God.
I left that gymnasium a little sad that these incredible people won’t be nurturing my son any longer.
So, with my biggest trading floor voice…. I give a shout out to Special Education Teachers. They are a unique breed, gifted with the patience and dedication to making the world better.
Now for my second humbling experience yesterday……
The lunch after graduation.
We went to George’s comfort place that just happens to be his father’s happy place, Shanahans. It was just yesterday when George hit his head on the corner of the booth. He still has the small gash mark near his hairline.
We walked in and our family friend, Diane was working. She had two huge “Class of 2024” balloons waiting for George on the infamous table where George whacked his head fifteen years ago.
The lunch included George, his brother, his sister, his godmother, his JoJo and his mom. This was the first time in many years that George and his siblings sat for a meal with both of their parents.
I give George’s mom a shit ton of credit. She came into a restaurant on my side of Mannheim Road.
The tension was thick and the talk was small, but when it was all said and done. Shanahans again created another memory, another turning point, another chapter change.
We sat at a table that my dad once sat in. Next to a room where we had our rehearsal dinner. A room where my dad pulled me to the side and said, “Tomorrow, when you marry this girl.. you marry her family and they will be in your life for a very long time.”
Those words haunted me as I settled up with Diane and we gathered our things to leave.
Here I was again with my mother in law and her daughter twenty years later.
My dad was right afuckingain…
There will be many more special events in the future that will bring us together. Let’s hope they happen on the high road that leads to great memories.
When I walked back to Betty the Green Blazer, I turned around and watched my former wife walk the other way. I thought about our third date when we were leaving Shanahans. I walked her to her car which was parked by a flower bed next to the Forest Park bank. I gave her a kiss goodnight and suddenly she took two steps back and rugby tackled me into the flowerbed. That was in October of 2000.
Twenty four years later and here we are back at the scene with our firstborn on the day he graduated from high school.
I will never understand the turns on the path of life, but I will continue gripping the wheel and looking ahead….
…..only using the rearview mirror if there is a good memory in view.
How many of you know what “143” stands for? I just learned about it this morning. I’m going to use it more often.
Go be astonished!
The sky is starting to get blue. The lions are roaring on the other side of the river and I didn’t get rugby tackled yesterday by George’s MomMom.
It is going to be a good day.