Monday, May 20, 2024

May 15th, 2024

 I was working in a kitchen at a country club in the summer of 1984. I peeled shrimp, took the garbage out, restocked stations and chopped vegetables.

The radio was always on while we were prepping for meals. Depending on the chef, it was either news radio or music.
Two occasions from that summer stick out to me.
The first one was on June 6th. It was the fortieth anniversary of D-Day and the radio program was dedicated to covering the occasion. Veteran interviews, historical facts, patriotic music and speeches filled the broadcast.
The one thing that stuck out that warm morning was how long ago D-Day seemed to me. The depression and the Second World War were always talked about by the adults when I was growing up.
The next occasion that still lingers in my memory happened several weeks later. I was helping the sous chef that morning and we were listening to a new song by a flamboyant musician named Prince. His latest album “Purple Rain” was released at the end of June in 1984, right before my eighteenth birthday.
For some reason I woke up earlier this morning thinking about the kitchen at the Manor House Club, the morning of D-Day and the impact of that Prince album and the movie that followed.
Two things that stick out…
…. how long ago the battle in France took place to me back then and how recent it is since I met the beautiful ones and darling Nikki.
This summer is the fortieth anniversary for the release of “Purple Rain.” Forty years doesn’t seem so long ago anymore.
I am the age today of many of those veterans that were celebrating the turning point in the war against the nazis.
I am still the eighteen year old boy whenever I listen to that Prince album.
I am caught in a forty year vacuum this morning.
Today’s quote comes from this paragraph….
….”I will die. You will die. We will all die and the universe will carry on without care. All that we have is that shout into the wind - how we live. How we go. And how we stand before we fall.”
We really don’t have that long together. Some of us will make history and all of us will live history. The memory of us will be gone soon after we die.
We celebrate historic events and listen to pop music along the way.
These next eighty five nights will bring us daylight well past dinner time. Then before we know it, darkness will set in before supper and winter will be upon us.
I don’t know about you, but in these next eighty five nights….
…. I’m going to strengthen my faith, celebrate my country, listen to a shit ton of music, confront jagoffs peacefully and love the people that think I’m alright.
I won’t be around in forty years to look back at the Summer of 2024, but I can remember the Summer of 1984 and I’m here to tell you…. Let’s go crazy!