Monday, May 20, 2024

May 20th, 2024

 Today is Big George Shepley’s last day of his internship program at the Marriott. It has been a great learning experience for him and I’ve seen him adapt well.

Next year he has been given the opportunity to enter a program called Project Search. It’s kind of like a fifth year senior program that will give him another year to mature.
He will be going to Lagrange Hospital in a classroom and working atmosphere setup. The program gives high functioning autistic students the chance to learn how to work in a real world setting.
I didn’t think George was ready to go to college this year. Project Search will give him a year to grow into adulthood and develop his communication skills. We are blessed that he has been given this opportunity through LADSE.
George will bring the gregarious Shepley spirit. That big smile, big can and bright eyes along with him in August. I’m sure he will impress the people at Lagrange Hospital like he did the staff at the Marriott.
He took pictures of the staff and had them developed so he can pass them out today. He’s really excited to give his new work friends a lasting memory.
When I was George’s age, Don Shepley made a point of telling me that I wasn’t special. When I walked out the front door at 220 South Lombard, the world outside won’t give “Two Shits” who John Shepley is. There are only a few people in the world that think you’re special and that’s only because you’re family.
Those were harsh words to hear from your dad, but they were true and they kept me in check with my ego.
I’ve hinted to the Shepkids those words passed down from their Grandpa Don, though with George they don’t hold the same value.
Sure, he will face the ups and downs of the cruel world. He will face mockery and be looked at differently….
…but George IS special and brings a unique kind of person into society.
Something that has been tough for me to get my arms around.
As a parent, you want your kids to fit in and be “normal.” It makes their life easier to groove with the path that life brings.
George didn’t go to his regular high school. He didn’t play sports and go to school dances. George took radios and computers and clocks apart. He was more like the geeks in “Weird Science” than the kids sitting in Saturday detention in “The Breakfast Club.”
Life became easier when I finally got a grip on being the dad of a “special needs” kid. I found out that I’m not the only parent whose child didn’t play football, go to prom and walk the halls of the high school down the block. Tons of parents put their kids on the short bus that goes to a therapeutic school.
I’m a better man because of George Shepley. I never came close to making Don Shepley a better man like Big George has done for me.
Like many of you right now. We are sending our offsprings to their next chapter. They are going to IU, Marquette or Miami of Ohio. They are going into the military or trade school. Great paths to continue this thing we call life.
Don Shepley was right to a certain extent. The world doesn’t think we are special and you won’t get a break just because mommy and daddy wiped your ass and nose…
… but we are special if we can bring peace, love and happiness to the world.
So go out this week and be astonished and bring your own special gift to the people who cross your path.
Go Pacers… bring it to those Boston bullies.!.!.!.!.!
Oh and if you see George and he has his camera. Have him take a picture and capture the moment.
Because people do go, but memories last a lifetime.