Monday, June 10, 2024

June 7th, 2024

 Friday is in our lap and it is National Donut Day.

I miss the day when my Oldman would drive over to White Hen on a Saturday morning. He’d go over to get the Sun Times and the Tribune. Maybe grab a gallon of milk and a lottery ticket. Every once in a while he would pick up a box of Entemann’s donuts.
Those things wouldn’t make it past ten o’clock.
When I was in my twenties, I lived on Oak Park Avenue. Most mornings I’d stop off at the Oak Park Bakery and grab a cup of coffee and a chocolate donut.
Sometimes I’d grab an extra one and slip it to the CTA guy at the ticket booth. The smile on his face was priceless.
Nowadays they have these fancy donuts that need a knife and fork to eat them. Save that crap for your birthday cake. Donuts were invented to be simple.
Have you ever gone to the Oak Park Farmers’ Market and had a donut? Just a regular yeast donut made three ways. Plain, cinnamon and powdered sugar. They are still warm when you take the first bite.
I suggest you go over tomorrow morning and try one.
I suggest you stop by the Oak Park Bakery and grab a couple chocolate donuts….
While you’re at it…. The neighborhood White Hen is closed down, so head to The Jewels and grab a box of Entenmann’s.
This weekend is the Art festival in Riverside. It is also Blues Festival weekend downtown.
Try new stuff on this second weekend of June.
Be naïve, be astonished, be kind, be kinky, be brave…
Enjoy that donut…