Thursday, June 13, 2024

June 13th, 2024

 Box scores… there are many things that I miss by not getting a morning paper anymore, but lately I’ve missed the box scores.

Throughout my years working downtown at the Board of Trade, a newspaper was my companion going in on the L.
My CTA station had a Tribune and Sun Times box near the entrance. I was a Tribune guy. So that was my go to morning newspaper.
Like most newspaper readers, I had a routine and personal way of reading the morning paper. There was a technique to reading the paper on the train. You could always tell a newspaper reader from a guy who just bought one to occupy his commute.
Newspaper is dead and I can’t read and drive Betty at the same time. I rarely read the paper anymore.
I miss the smell of the print and the feel of the sports page in my hand.
But most of all, especially this time of the year. I miss ripping straight to the back of the sports and looking at the baseball standings and analyzing the box scores.
It’s just not the same on the internet. There isn’t any romance to it.
The simple things in life that I miss when they become memories.
Today, it’s the box scores.
Last night the Cubs beat the expansion team from Tampa Bay, 4-3. The Sox did what they’ve been doing all year. They lost to the expansion team out in Seattle, 2-1.
And don’t get me started on expansion teams…
Any team incorporated after 1976 is an expansion team to me, but that is for another Chalkboard.
Make sure to dust some GoldBond on your nooks and crannies today. It is going to be a steamy day in Chicagoland.
Be astonished and stay hydrated.