Friday, July 7, 2023

July 7th, 2023

 These last seven days have added up to the worst week this year. Uncertainty has taken a swipe at the things that be.

So the timing was just right that a friend gave me his tickets to Saturday’s ballgame. A trip to the ballpark always makes things better.
Whenever life comes to a crossroads get off the path and catch a baseball game.
Through the years when life had its issues I would get on the el and go to Wrigley or Sox Park for a three hour therapy session.
A lot of the time I went to the ballpark by myself. Probably one of the best memories was when the Grace family was sitting in Mayor Daley’s seats. They spotted me sitting alone and the rest of that night was a smile.
I look back to my eleventh birthday. I was living with a single divorced lady who loved me so much. She took me to a Sox night game and we sat up the first base line. Richie Zisk struck out twice, but he also had two homers that scored all the runs that muggy night. The Sox beat the Twins and that next week and a half they went on a nine game winning streak. The Southside Hitmen went from tied for first on July 1st to a four and a half game lead on July 9th.
Eventually they ended up in third with 90 wins, but nine of them started on my birthday. That was the best start to July and it all started the day I turned eleven.
Saturday I’m going to sit at the Sox game with the Shepkids. Odds are this horseshit baseball team isn’t going to crank out a nine game winning streak. Hopefully I can look back at this Sox and Cardinals game with fond memories, but more importantly…..
….I hope the Shepkids can get three hours of happiness and bring home a winning streak of their own.
Making memories of driving into the city in Betty the Green Blazer and pulling into the parking lot next to Comiskey. Seeing all the smiles on the faces of people wearing Sox hats and jerseys. Listening to the laughter in a deep Chicagonese accent.
….and walking into the Cathedral to the sound of the crack of a baseball off a wooden bat. The smell of hotdogs and grilled onions and hearing, “Programs! Get your Programs, Programs here!”
I’ll be sitting with my kids watching the White Sox. Eating hotdogs smothered with mustard and grilled onions. I’ll probably watch them more than the game. Seeing in their eyes a Sox game at the Palace of Baseball with their Oldman.
So today’s quote from Yogi Berra is perfect for this awkward start to July of 2023.
We go through life without a clue to where we are going as time rushes into the past at a quick pace. Our only choice is to make the best of it.
Get up Chalkheads and finish the week strong…. Go make the world mo betta and start yourself a winning streak.