Monday, July 3, 2023

July 1st, 2023

 My dad gave me two crystal beer mugs on my twenty first birthday. On them was etched today’s Chalkboard quote.

If there is a quote I’ve used more than once over the years it is this one. My friends have heard this quote when I thank them for their friendship. The Shepkids have heard it when I teach them the importance of learning how to make friends.
The beer mugs don’t come out very often. My birthday, My dad’s birthday, My mom’s birthday, Thanksgiving and when all is quiet on New Years Day.
….and actually it’s just a mug now. I was having a beer on my first anniversary in front of our fire pit. The person I was celebrating with dropped it on the patio and it broke.
Now it’s just me and my mug.
When Don Shepley gave me the mug set he gave me some advice.
We get through life meeting many people. Some of them are pretty special so we try and keep them around more often. We will only have one or two best friends. A couple close friends and many dear friends. Also, learn the difference between a friend and an acquaintance.
That advice has stuck with me since that day thirty six years ago.
If I have any Catholic guilt it’s because I haven’t kept up with friendships.
When you’re a kid it’s easy to be friends. Just ride your bike over and knock on the door.
“Hi…. Is Bobby home?”
When you’re a young adult it’s still pretty easy. Just pick up the phone and call.
“Hey Billy, let’s go have a couple beers at Shanahans.”
Then suddenly everyone starts getting married and having children. Some friends move away. Some just disappear. Some go to heaven.
Someday when I go to heaven I want people to remember me by this quote by William Butler Yeats.
Because it has been my friends more than anything that has gotten me to day 20,819.
From Chicago to Indianapolis. From Oak Park to Cletus Country and to those today in Riverside.
I don’t know how to express how much I appreciate you and how much I love you.
Thank you for being my friend.
At some point today I’m going to put some Old Style in my mug and think about my parents, my family, the girl I lost my virginity to, my friends that are in heaven and the time you and I became such friends.