Sunday, July 23, 2023

July 22nd, 2023

 When I don’t like something, I chose to turn it off. That goes for a song on the radio, a story on the news or when the Bears are getting shit kicked.

Just turn the channel.
Until this last week I didn’t know who Jason Aldean was. My love for country music is Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and The Good Old Boy’s Blues Brother Band from Joliet, Illinois.
In 1980 Charlie Daniels released a song “In America.” It was controversial and became very popular.
Here is the first stanza….
“Well the eagle's been flyin' slow
And the flag's been flyin' low
And a lotta people sayin' that America's
Fixin' to fall.”
America was coming off of Watergate, gas shortages, high interest rates and the Iran hostages.
This song was a pick me up for a down and out generation.
Another song that comes to mind that I liked, believe it or not….
“1989 the number another summer (get down)
Sound of the funky drummer
Music hitting your heart 'cause I know you got soul.”
Yep….. I was a Honkey jamming to Public Enemy thirty five years ago.
If you don’t like the message….
….Turn to another station!
It is alright to read James Baldwin and Maya Angelou and still vote for Reagan and Trump. It might seem unlikely, but I’ve always been unlikely.
I turn the volume up for Dr Dre and Snoop Dog, but didn’t vote for Obama.
If you don’t like the message…..
….turn to another station.
My daughter listens to Lizzo in the shower. If I was closed minded I would wonder “why is my daughter listening to a fat black chick?”
Lizzo is a trained musician and an inspiration for all young woman. same with Lady Gaga and this Tyler Swift girl.
I like this song catching heat this week. It has a strong message!
Hip Hop has reached to the darkest part of the Urban soul and Jason Aldean sings about small America’s feelings on today.
Small America and the Big City are two different groups of people. They will never see eye to eye and they will never be friends.
That is unfortunate.
If you don’t like the message…
….turn to another station.
Last night I sang “Time after Time” to Hazel for the first time since Tony Bennett’s passing. I started to cry a little. Not the Cindi Lauper song, the old standard made famous by Mr. Francis Sinatra and Anthony Dominick Benedetto.
When I’m asked to sing bedtime songs, I always bang out the same three. “Moon River,” “Time after Time,” and “Rainbow Connection.”
Off to dream alone.
I gotta go make pancakes!
Have a beautiful and blessed Saturday. Put some meat on the grill and some love on the sheets.