Saturday, July 29, 2023

July 28th, 2023

    I woke up from a good sleep, but I had an Earworm right off the bat. The same Earworm has been chirping in my head the last couple days.

“It's been seven hours and 15 days, it’s been 15 months, it’s been nothing compares, nothing… since you’ve been gone, I can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurant… nothing compares, seven hours, to you.”
You never know how loved someone is until they are gone. Whenever a celebrity passes away my feed lights up with posts from people I rarely see on Facebook.
Hell, I’ve been guilty of it myself.
Before we know it these beloved celebrities have been gone for years.
I remember what I was doing when I heard Elvis died, when John Lennon died and when Kurt Cobain died.
I was sad last week when Tony Bennett died, but I’ll continue singing and listening to his songs.
The one that hit me hard in the last few years was the loss of Charlie Watts. Yesterday was Mick Jagger's 80th birthday and pictures of Mick with Charlie were on the news.
Many saw Watts as the drummer of The Rolling Stones, but he was much more than that. Stones fans know how many layers there was to him. The Stones will never be the same without Watts banging on his drums.
Mick will be gone soon. So will Willie and Kristofferson. Luckily for us their music will live on.
Part of my Faith in God is built on my idea of what heaven has in store for me.
Heaven to me is a big reunion, but it also has opportunity.
The opportunity to see a Louie Armstrong and Billie Holiday show. A chance to catch Gershwin or Cole Porter or Hoagy Carmichael.
So many of you were sad yesterday with the news of Sinead O’Connor passing away at fifty six. All I knew about her was the one Prince song she covered and the picture of the Pope that she ripped up on SNL.
She was much more than that to many of you. Sorry for your loss.
My early morning earworm is gone for now. Time to get Friday started and roll into a great weekend.
Put on some Prince, some Petty some Bowie today. They will never be gone as long as the music is playing.