Friday, November 26, 2021

Rudolph


 In the back of my mind I was thinking about the 1991 airing of “Rudolph the Red nose Reindeer” being thirty years ago.

I was sitting in an apartment in Oak Park with a group of guys in our early twenties. We had to do a shot every time Rudolph’s nose glowed.
Afterwards we went to the bars on Madison Street until last call. This year I had a couple glasses of wine and was in bed fifteen minutes after Santa left the Island of Misfit Toys.
The new Millennium has brought the cancel culture, Covid, Participation Trophies and Pumpkin Spice.
I’m surprised Rudolph isn’t sitting on a shelf somewhere with Bo and Luke Duke, Archie Bunker and George Jefferson.
I mean come on folks!!
Rudolph has a birth defect and is ridiculed and bullied. Even Santa is a Jag Off to Rudolph! His parents handle it wrong from the get go. The Head Coach is tough and all the other reindeer ban Rudy from their games.
This kind of twentieth century propaganda does not belong in society anymore!
Actually it does!
Young parents make mistakes. It’s hard on them if they have a special needs child and you can say Rudolph symbolizes that. That’s what they did back then. They masked a deformity.
Why have we grown today to accept and promote growth for the handicapped? Because the adults in charge watched “Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer!”
Why has bullying been approached and shunned these days? Because we watched Rudolph get bullied!
Why was making everyone conform to the Social Rules so important back then, but today we can pursue a career or lifestyle we like? Because of Rudolph!!
I watched the actions in Christmas Town last night and saw the ugliness that occurred. I also thought about how much I’ve grown up because I watched Rudolph every year since the early 1970’s.
My only advice for Rudolph would be to dump Clarice. Everything started out fine and it was an awesome relationship.
She stood by you during those trying times Rudolph. You even saved her from the Abominable, but eventually she will sleep with another Reindeer from Clarendon Hills.
Run, Run Rudolph!