Tuesday, April 23, 2024

These Speakers


I was sitting here listening to music on my AAL speakers that I bought at MusiCraft on North Avenue in 1990.
These speakers have played the soundtrack to my life for thirty four years.
My memory tells me the first CD played through their diaphragm was “Sticky Fingers” or possibly some English Beat. They’ve played all eras of jazz and blues. Gospel, country, punk, classical and even Gregorian chant.
I was in love with a girl who is still my friend. She went with me to buy these speakers on a sunny Saturday morning. I let her play her Melissa Ethridge and Randy Travis and we both listened to John Hiatt.
The same receiver is still connected and that same girl gave me her dad’s turntable when he passed away.
I sat here and drank tea, listened to music and thought about where my speakers will be in thirty-four years. Who will my daughter give them to? Will a stranger be drinking from my tea set?
I won’t be around in 2058 to listen to ninety year old Rolling Stone songs. Does 2058 seem like a long time from now? It’s the same amount of time that 1990 is and that seems like yesterday. Which means that the end of the 2050’s is tomorrow.
I could tell you that is the helmet that Bobby Brady wore when Joe Namath was on “The Brady Bunch,” but it is not. It’s a Christmas present for a buddy of mine, but he’s always out of town on Christmas. So, I haven’t given it to him yet.
Those speakers have moved with me from bachelorhood, through a marriage and into a divorce.
Love songs have been love songs and not love songs anymore. Sad songs have been sad songs and not so sad today.
Those speakers were first wired during the age of CD’s and now only play vinyl records. The whole time they’ve tuned into WXRT, WDCB and WFMT. They dialed into classic rock on 97.9FM, Mr. A’s rhythm and blues after midnight on WNIB and Dick Buckley’s swing jazz on WBEZ. The Loop plays Christian music now and those two old DJs went off the air and into Heaven’s wave lengths.
The day will come when I hear my last song on these speakers. Maybe I’ll be listening to these speakers during my last breath?
My imagination wants me to think it will be Gershwin, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Miles or Muddy. Maybe my grandchildren will be playing some crap that needs to be turned down?
I lived at my parent's house the first few months I owned these speakers. My Oldman yelled at me to turn down the fucking god forsaken crap that I was listening to.
It was a new Van Halen CD that I just bought.
When I set these speakers to eleven, the whole neighborhood can hear them. Tonight, I had them at two and George came out of his room and told me to turn down that old geezer stuff.
I’m stuck in a thirty four year old time warp… drinking Earl Grey wondering if I should go to bed because it’s already nine thirty.
I’m stuck in a thirty four year old time warp thinking how all this shit happened so quickly.
Maybe the most appropriate song to play last in a lifetime will find me behind the wheel of a big car? Maybe I’ll be in a nice home with my gorgeous spouse…
…and I can ask myself, “well…. How did I get here?”
…and you ask yourself, “does he really own a tea set?”