Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The power of Bloggers and Movie actors


          On a rainout Monday when the Go Go White Sox should have carried their momentum into game four of the playoff series against a very strong Houston Astros, we were introduced to WSD or White Sox Dave.

          I'm a White Sox fan, a well read fan who knows stats and current players and a strong knowledge of Palehose history. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or proud to admit that I never heard of White Sox Dave! Like most of the sports world I was introduced to him when he video blogged his confrontation with actor John Cusack.

        Cusack doesn't know we've been buddies since he played "Gib" in "The Sure Thing." He comes from Evanston and Jeremy Piven's family theater program. He and I were born the week before fourth of July weekend in 1966. 

        I'll admit I was a little jealous when "Gib" was sitting in the premiere seats during the Cubbies 2016 World Series year. He won me back when I found out he was supporting the Sox during this years play off run.

      This is Chicago.... we have TWO teams! It is proper to Love one and Hate the other, but if we have friends that love "the other team" we don't need to hate them! We argue with them, we root against them during the Crosstown, but we don't wish them ill feelings!

     I got on the Lake Street elevated at Ridgeland Avenue in the late seventies and either stayed on it all the way down the Ryan line to 35th street (they were connected until the early 1990's when the Howard/Dan Ryan was formed) or I'd transfer in the Loop and get on a Northbound Howard. I went to both ballparks with lawnmower money in my pocket. Cusack has every right to do the same thing. This week he is a Cub fan rooting for the Sox. Just like when I went to Wrigley rooting against Pete Rose and the Reds or Mike Schmidt and the Phillies!

      Now who the hell is White Sox Dave? He's a Sports Blogger and one of Dave Portnoy's "Yes men." He symbolizes the downward spiral of journalism and the rise of Mealy mouth know it all's.

      Oh how I miss the days of "The Sportswriters on TV" when sports journalism was respected through men like Bill Jaus, Rick Telander, Bill Gleason and Ben Bentley. White Sox Dave is David Williams from Warrenville, Illinois. He played some baseball at North Central College before he got the attention of Barstool Sports. We've gone from four seasoned veterans with a deep knowledge of sports to a drunk kid from suburban Rockford who has Google!

   Let's focus on a White Sox victory today and a trip to Houston! I hope the Gentleman with the voodoo cane casts his spell on the Houston Bats this afternoon! I sure as hell hope John Cusack is sitting in Mayor Daley's seats with a Sox hat, a boom box from "Say Anything" and maybe even Steve Bartman sitting next to him!