Tuesday, October 12, 2021

BB King and a couple white boys with jumper cables.

 In March of 1986 I was an invincible 19 year old at a BB King show in Merrillville... my buddy and I left the show and parked next to us was a sedan with the hood up and three older black men underneath. “You boys got jumper lines?” we replied that we did and jumped their car.

A fourth black man walked out and said, y’all got this old girl runnin’?” And a reply from the three men was “ya BB, these white boys had juice!”
We just jumped B.B. Kings dead battery! B.B. asked if we were heading back up to Chicago and we said yes.... we really were going to head back down to Indy. “Y’all follow us up... we are going to the Checkerboard!”
We showed up to the Southside at 1:30 in the morning with all the confidence a couple naïve punks could possess. We walked in and they were expecting the white boys with the jumper lines.
Four in the morning we pull into the house in Oak Park and my dad didn’t know if he should shit or go blind! I told my Oldman the story and he looked at me in disbelief....