Sunday, October 17, 2021

Breakfast with Bill

 An older gentleman sat down at the breakfast table next to mine.

As I sipped my coffee he started to tell me about the size of the chicken breast on his sandwich the other day. This was his second time coming to Michael's Pancake House Riverside.
His oatmeal showed up while I was eating my bacon and eggs. The doctor told him he needed to eat more oatmeal due to his cholesterol.
Bill was retired from the CTA and bought his house in Lyons in 1977. Bill went to Morton West as did his kids. He has a daughter in Huntley and a daughter in Orland. He’s actually going to watch the Bears game today with her family down in Orland.
This is part of the path we take… it has purpose. Bill just wanted to shoot the shit with someone and eat his oatmeal. I just wanted to have breakfast at the diner with my dad again.
The reason I told you this story is because no matter how we get there…. This path, this journey of life has all the little things that make the big picture bright.
I didn’t have breakfast with my dad this morning, but I had breakfast with Bill and both he and I had a great start to our day.