Looking for something?

Monday, October 5, 2026

October 5th, 2026

 “Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about.”

       A good quote for a Monday morning. It got me thinking about the things that show up in my head every day, whether I invite them in or not.

   I suppose my first thought should be my Faith. But if I am being honest, it is the ShepKids. George, Fritz and Hazel.

   Their health, their happiness, their future. I want them to find their footing, enjoy their lives, and learn how to manage the days that do not go their way. A father can spend a considerable amount of time thinking about three people who occasionally forget to answer his texts.

     God is there every day, too. Along with Mom, Dad and the other people I love who have gone to heaven. Maybe thinking about my children first isn’t such a terrible failure of my Faith. Many of those thoughts turn into prayers before I am finished having them.

     I think about my career. I have put a shit ton of years and hard work into this business, and I still have several good years left standing at a trading desk. I would like those years to help build a comfortable retirement, nothing extravagant. Enough to pay the bills, enjoy myself and order the steak I want without consulting a financial adviser.

    I think about my home and how fortunate I am to have a comfortable place to live. I was lucky to land near a river, in a town whose streets wind with the same curves.

     I think about my health. This heavyset kid has made it to sixty without daily medication, and I am grateful for that. I would like another twenty-five years of good living. That means giving my body some cooperation. Gratitude ought to include taking care of what I have been given.

       Then there is everything I think about that I can’t control.

  Growing older will proceed without my permission. Politics will keep swinging, and people will keep insisting their side has all the answers. There will be anger, arguments and somebody determined to ruin a perfectly good morning.

    Grow older, not old. Always vote close to home. Stay clear of jagoffs and assclowns.

    I can only show love to the people within an arm’s length. I can listen, help, show a little patience and choose what comes out of my own mouth.

    Although the barbershop offered a more memorable philosophy this weekend: “Don’t hate, masturbate.”

       There you have it. A haircut and a plan for world peace.

    I have also spent enough time imagining what other people think of me. That is a lot of unpaid work, especially when most of them are busy thinking about themselves. There is good sense in the old advice to be yourself and let the people who matter recognize you.

    I want to keep the people in my prayers close. I want to remember that waking up tomorrow is a gift.

     And I would like to spend less time mentally organizing the aftermath of the morning I don’t wake up.

     Who will cover me at work?

     Who will clear out my belongings?

     Who will take care of the ShepKids?

       …And, naturally, who will win the Sox game?

   The markets will keep trading after I am gone. Somebody will find a home for my shot glasses, old Playboy magazines, and jazz albums. Sorting that collection should give them a fairly rounded picture of who I was.

     The ShepKids will grow into adults, carrying what I have taught them and figuring out plenty for themselves. They will have troubles, triumphs, and bills with their names on them. My job today is to help prepare them and let them know they are loved.

         … And the White Sox?

  Hell, every win lately feels like one more than we expected. Any October victories are gifts. Having Father Bob from the South Side up at the Vatican certainly can’t hurt.

       Pope Leo, baby. Keep the Go Go White Sox in your prayers.

Today’s quote reminds me how much I still care about.

My children.

My faith.

My work.

My health.

    The life I am fortunate enough to wake up to. All of it deserves my effort today.

    Get out there with gusto and astonishment you beautiful Chalkheads.

     Put a smile on the sun. We have got another day to work with.