Looking for something?

Sunday, October 4, 2026

October 4th, 2026

  My Dinner with Billy Shakes (based on My Dinner with Andre)

  Charlie Brown arrived at the restaurant carrying a yellow legal pad.

Shakespeare was already at the table, examining the wine list as though somebody had murdered his lead character somewhere between the cabernet and the merlot.

      “Rough day?” Charlie asked.

“Life’s but a walking shadow.”

       “I’ll take that as a yes.”

The waitress appeared.

    “Can I start you gentlemen with something?”

   “A little hope,” said Charlie Brown.

       “Something to quiet the sound and fury,” said Shakespeare.

 She nodded. “Two bourbons for the playwright and the bald kid with the big head..”

      Charlie opened his legal pad.

“I’ve been trying to figure something out. I keep hoping yesterday will get better.”

        Shakespeare leaned back.

“All our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death.”

     Charlie studied him.

“Do you ever just say, ‘Yeah, that sucks balls’?”

The waitress returned with their drinks. Shakespeare raised his glass and began, “Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow—”

        “Kitchen closes at nine,” she said.

   That settled him down.

Charlie explained about Lucy and the football. Every time, she promised to hold it. Every time, he trusted her. Every time, he landed flat on his ass.

      Shakespeare listened carefully.

“You could stop running at the ball.”

     “That seems obvious when somebody else says it.”

“Most wisdom does.”

      Charlie took a drink.

“What bothers me is the story afterward. Lucy goes home while I lie there thinking about what it means. By bedtime, missing a football has become proof that my whole life is a failure.”

       Shakespeare lowered the menu.

“I may have contributed to that sort of thinking.”

     “You think?”

“I have written a considerable number of people having one bad evening and killing half the county.”

They ordered dinner.

Charlie wanted a hamburger. Shakespeare requested something worthy of a king.

“Burger with an egg,” said the waitress.

    “Splendid choice my lady.”

For a while, they ate quietly. Then Charlie asked why Shakespeare’s people always made such a mess of things.

   “Pride, fear, jealousy. They become convinced they know how the story must end.”

       “Lucy says I’ll never learn.”

“Lucy charges five cents for advice and maintains a profitable arrangement with a football. I would examine her interests.”

       Charlie smiled.

It was a small smile, but Shakespeare noticed. Writers notice things. Occasionally even the check.

     “Tell me something good,” he said.

Charlie thought.

     “My dog is glad to see me.”

“There. Begin with that.”

      “He’s also convinced he’s a flying ace.”

“I made a forest walk toward a castle. Your dog seems reasonable.”

Charlie looked down at his legal pad. He had written Yesterday at the top and filled most of the page with complaints.

He turned to a fresh sheet.

      “What if I’m telling the story too soon?”

Shakespeare put down his fork.

     “Go on.”

“Well, yesterday I was the idiot who trusted Lucy. Today I’m the idiot who understands the arrangement a little better. Maybe tomorrow I will invite somebody else to hold the football.”

      “Excellent.”

“Maybe I’ll just go for a walk.”

“Even better. Fewer medical expenses.”

      The waitress cleared their plates.

    “Dessert?”

Charlie asked for apple pie. Shakespeare said he was full.

She brought two forks anyway. She had heard that story before.

Over pie, Charlie admitted that he wanted a better life but kept using the worst parts as evidence against himself.

         Shakespeare nodded.

“The same narrator, reading an unfinished manuscript.”

“And being a real bastard to the main character.”

      “Yes. You might allow him a little development.”

Outside, Snoopy waited beneath a streetlight. Shakespeare scratched his ears.

Charlie tucked the legal pad under his arm.

Yesterday hadn’t changed. He had something else to say about it now.

That is how the story grows, Chalkheads. We live another day, learn another thing, and occasionally discover that the fellow we have been calling an idiot was doing the best he could with the information available.

    Give him another chapter and for God’s sake, let somebody else hold the football.