Looking for something?

Sunday, August 23, 2026

August 20th, 2026

 

     There is something old school about radio.

   You don’t watch it. You can’t scroll through it, and you don’t have an algorithm reading your mind. You turn the dial, find the voice you know, and let that voice keep you company.

    I have a radio in every room of my home. I suppose that tells you something about me.

   For generations, Chicago has been one hell of a radio town. Ballgames, agriculture reports, weather, traffic, music, news and those comforting voices coming out of a speaker while we drove to work, sat on the back porch or fell asleep at night.

    Some of my earliest memories have a radio playing somewhere in the background.

    WLS-AM got me through the seventies before I discovered the FM dial. Before school in the morning there was Wally Phillips, who would play the Ellery Queen Minute Mystery. My mom and I would try to figure out the murderer before it was time to leave. Later there was Orion Samuelson giving us the grain and livestock prices. Funny how life works. Back then they were just numbers coming out of the radio. Eventually, those numbers became my livelihood.

     I listened to Indiana Pacer games with my Gramma. Sitting at the table playing Kings Corners and eating warm zucchini bread.

   I fondly remember sitting with my Oldman on a Saturday afternoon in the Dadilac, eating White Castles and listening to Jack Benny shows with Chuck Schaden.

   Sunday afternoons had their own soundtrack. I sat on the porch with Dad while Dick Buckley played jazz records. Those Sunday afternoons probably have something to do with why jazz still sounds like home to me.

      And sports?

     Give me the radio.

I'll take the baseball game on the radio over television any day, hockey too. A good radio announcer doesn't merely tell you what's happening. He paints the damn thing. You can see the runner taking his lead from first. You can hear the crowd building before the puck hits the back of the net. The best broadcasters make you feel as though you are sitting at the game without ever showing you a picture.

        Maybe that is what I love most about radio.

   It asks something of you. Television gives you the picture. The internet gives you everything at once. Radio gives you a voice, a few sounds and enough empty space to build the rest yourself. Your imagination has to participate.

    Mark Twain supposedly said, “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”

    I don't know how many thousands of mornings in my life have gotten started the same way, with a radio playing somewhere nearby.

   From Wally Phillips and Ellery Queen before school, to Orion and Max covering the farmers, Pacers games with Gramma, jazz with Dad, baseball in the summertime and radios scattered around my home today. That little box has been keeping me company for most of my life.

     The voices change, the stations change and the people sitting beside us eventually change too.

        …But somehow you turn that dial, hear an old song or the crack of a bat, and for just a moment they are all sitting there with you again.

Television may give us pictures. The internet gives us everything, but radio leaves just enough room for your imagination and memories.

        

          What is your favorite radio memory Chalkheads?