Looking for something?

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

August 12th, 2026

 
    I have been getting stuck in this groove lately of picking quotes that make me examine myself.
     This one is a complete hand job.
           “It’s never too late to be what you might have been.”
   Might have been? What the hell is that?
      Is that like a has-been who never actually has been?
 About a year before my dad went up to heaven, we had a long phone conversation on a cold Sunday morning. Somewhere along the way, my Oldman asked me a simple question.
          “Do you have any regrets Moose?”
     It was a fair question at the time.
   I was about a year removed from my divorce. My career was running into a dead end on a trading floor that was itself becoming a relic. Money was tight. I didn’t see my kids as much as I wanted to.
    All the crap that can pile up on a guy in his early fifties had piled up.
     …And underneath all of it was that quiet realization that the life I had at fifty did not look much like the life the twenty-year-old version of me figured I would have.
      I sat there for a second.
   I was on my couch, looking out the window at the snow falling on a Sunday morning in the Divorced Dads District, talking to my dad on the telephone.
      “Nope,” I finally told him. “No regrets, Dad. I might have taken a couple wrong turns and missed a few exits along the way, but no regrets.”
               …And I meant it.
   I have never spent much time worrying about what I might have been. Sure, I could have done some things differently. Hell, I could have done a lot of things differently.
    There were jobs I could have taken. People I could have treated better. Money I could have saved. Chances I could have taken and chances I shouldn’t have taken.
    Change any one of those decisions and the whole course of my life changes, but that is the problem with might have been.
         You only get to see the curtain you picked.
   It is like being on Let’s Make a Deal and choosing Curtain Number Two. Maybe there was a trip to Hawaii behind Number One, and you end up with an inflatable swimming pool.
    For the next forty years, you can sit around bitching about Hawaii. Except nobody ever opens Curtain Number One. Maybe Hawaii was back there, maybe it was a goat.
   You never know. All I know is what was behind the curtain I picked. There were some lousy years behind it. There were mistakes, heartbreaks, bounced checks, divorces, dead ends and more than a few mornings when I wondered what the hell I was doing.
    I do know what was behind the curtain I picked… my three kids, one or two dear friends and a shit ton of good people along the way.
    There was a trading floor, road trips, rugby pitches, baseball games, Christmas mornings, concerts, Mardi Gras, laughter, and ordinary Sunday mornings that I would give anything to have one more time.
     So, I never became what I might have been.
           Good. I became what I am and at sixty years old, I am far more interested in what I can still become than some imaginary guy I was supposed to be.
    My Oldman has been gone almost six years now, but I still think about that snowy Sunday and the question he asked me.
       Do I have regrets?
                 Sure, Dad, a few, but I wouldn't trade curtains. Not even for Hawaii.
       There is a New Moon tonight. You won’t see it and that is the point.
  The old moon disappears into the darkness before beginning another trip around the sky. Another cycle ending and another one quietly beginning.
   That is a better way to think about our own lives. We spend too much time staring backward at what might have been when there is still something ahead waiting to become.
      The moon does not regret its last trip around the Earth. It just starts another one and so can we.
                Notice shit. Do stuff.