Looking for something?

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

August 18th, 2026

 

     I often chalk about my Exile in Indy, and though I speak fondly of it many years later, the truth is, I never wanted to be there.

    Because of that, I probably kept myself from getting everything I could have out of my years in the Hoosier State.

             Time has a way of changing the view.

   The older I get, the less I remember how badly I wanted to leave and the more I remember the many dear people I met while I was there. People I still think about. People who helped shape me and guide me.

     The mentors, the neighbors, the coaches, the teachers... My friends.

  There is one of those people who, without either of us ever realizing it at the time, has been with me almost every day of my career.

  Especially after the trading pits closed and the shouting and hand signals of the trading floor were replaced by computer monitors and keyboards.

       Coach Tom O'Brien.

   Coach built athletes who went on to great heights. He mentored young men who became clergymen, service members, politicians, businessmen, coaches, fathers, and leaders. His legacy reached into all walks of life.

      For me, his legacy can be heard in the pounding of a keyboard at my trading desk.

          … And I mean pounding.

 The cacophony of my fingers beating on those poor keys has driven coworkers crazy for years.

    Once, a Millennial kid in the office asked me to take it easy.

       "You don't have to take out your aggression on the keyboard dude."

 Then he asked if I knew what the home row was and informed me that a person could actually type using more than four fingers.

   I explained that I learned how to type on a typewriter from the basketball coach at Dear Old Cathedral High School and I will continue doing it exactly the way I like.

     Then, loudly under my breath:

         "Mind your own business, you little jagoff."

    Of all the things I learned in Catholic school, two of the most useful things I carried into adulthood were my rosary and my typewriter skills.

      Prayer and work.

More than forty years ago, I never imagined Coach O'Brien's typing class would help carry me through the rest of my life, but it did.

     Every morning, I sit down and type this Chalkboard. Every workday, I sit at a trading desk and pound bids and offers into the market.

     I can do both because a basketball coach at Cathedral took the time to teach and mentor a sad kid with a Chicago accent.

     Coach O'Brien will rightfully be remembered for the great basketball players he coached and sent on to bigger stages. Names like Kenny Barlow and Scotty Hicks are part of his legacy.

     … But for every star athlete whose name people remember, there are thousands of guys like me.

    Kids who were not going to play college basketball. Kids who were not going to have their names in the newspaper. Kids sitting in a classroom who didn't yet have the slightest idea what direction life was going to take them.

      Coach taught us, pushed us, and expected something from us. Practice, practice, practice.

      We thought he was teaching us how to type. He was teaching us how to work.

      Coach O'Brien took his whistle up to heaven yesterday.

 The width of his legacy is wider than most because it cannot be measured simply in victories, championships or the athletes who went on to play college basketball.

   It is measured in lives, in families, in careers, in classrooms, capitol buildings, battleships, churches, homes and offices.

     And, apparently, on one loud keyboard at a commodity trading desk in Chicagoland.

       So one more time for Coach...

            Here come the Irish, the mighty, mighty Irish...

           Wherever we go, people want to know who we are, so we tell them...

  WE ARE THE IRISH! THE MIGHTY, MIGHTY IRISH!

  May your memory always be a blessing, Coach O'Brien.

          Thank you for pushing me during my Exile in Indy. I didn't appreciate everything about those years when I was living them. It took me a long time to understand how many good people were quietly pointing me in the right direction.

         Coach was one of them.

  Maybe that is why this morning's Chalkboard quote feels especially appropriate…

   The compass came before the clock because direction matters more than time.

    Chalkheads, most of us were fortunate enough to have somebody come into our lives who made our foundation a little stronger and pointed our compass in a better direction.

   Sometimes we do not recognize what they gave us until years later.

         We were all blessed that Coach Tom O'Brien came in our direction.

       Go Irish.