Tom Petty was right. The waiting really is the hardest part.
The older I get, the more I
wonder how much of my life I have spent waiting for something that was already
happening.
Today is my cousin Chuck’s
birthday. Chuck was the guy who got me my first job on the trading floor. I
don’t see him much anymore. Since the trading floors closed, he has pretty much
isolated himself.
Maybe that is part of getting
older, too. You start realizing that some of the things you once thought would
last forever were actually passing right in front of you.
Back then, we stood on those
trading floors waiting for the opening bell, waiting for an order, waiting for
a fill, waiting for lunch, waiting for the closing bell, waiting for Friday.
We had no idea we were
standing in the middle of something we would someday give just about anything
to have back for an afternoon...
Here I am this
morning bitching about another 94-degree September day.
I am tired of the heat and
ready for fall. Give me a sweatshirt, some football weather and a little chill
in the morning air, but I know how this works…
A few months from now, when the wind is
howling off Lake Michigan and the thermometer is struggling to find double
digits, I’ll be waiting for a day exactly like this one.
Maybe that is the trick Tom Petty didn't
tell us. Sometimes the hardest part isn't the waiting. It
is realizing that while we were waiting, this was it. Maybe we ought to spend a
little more time recognizing what we have while we still have it.
Because someday soon, today will be one of the good old days, too.
