Looking for something?

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

August 30th, 2026

 

       A rainy Sunday morning followed by a cloudy, humid afternoon.

    I am not sure it is perfect weather for toasting marshmallows, but today is Toasted Marshmallow Day, so we work with what we have.

      Recently, I chalked about being a latchkey kid like so many of us Gen Xers. I also chalked about how, when I was a little boy, whenever I tried something for the first time, I didn’t say I tried it. I said I invented it.

    Well, I remember the day I invented toasting marshmallows over the stove.

I was living in my first apartment in Oak Park. I bought a bag of jumbo marshmallows at the Jewels up the block and carried them back to my little apartment.

    When I moved out, my parents had used the occasion to clean out their kitchen drawers, so among my new possessions was an old roasting fork.

Perfect. I stuck a marshmallow on the end of it, turned up the gas burner and started roasting.

    I toasted about half a dozen, sat down in front of the television I had just bought at Polk Brothers, cracked open an Old Style, and watched the Sox game.

     It was pretty damn good. I was living the dream.

    The caramelized sugar and gooey softness of a toasted marshmallow went surprisingly well with the kraeusened-water-brewed pilsner.

             At least the first few did.

   After about a six-pack and a dozen marshmallows, I discovered something else I had not thought about when I moved into my first apartment.

          I needed Alka-Seltzer.

   I couldn't just walk over to my Oldman's medicine cabinet anymore and grab a couple. There are certain moments when you realize you are truly on your own.

           That was one of mine.

    So, enjoy the down day the weather has given us on this last Sunday of August 2026.

     August is leaving us hot and humid, dragging September through the door wearing the same damn clothes.

      Fortunately, my Oldman had the foresight to throw a bottle of Gold Bond into that box of kitchen appliances and assorted crap he gave me when I moved across town.

     I have had that magical powder in every bathroom cabinet I have owned since that first apartment many years ago.

       Some lessons from your Oldman take a while to appreciate. Others become apparent the first humid day of September.

      So, Gold Bond up this week, you gorgeous Chalkheads.

Keep your nooks and crannies dry and unchaffed.

         …And if you are going to invent toasted marshmallows over the stove, stop before the second six-pack.