Looking for something?

Sunday, September 13, 2026

September 13th, 2026

 

      I was six years old when I first saw Dick Butkus play football.

    It was 1972, and I was sitting on the floor of my parents’ living room watching the Chicago Bears on television. I didn't understand defenses or formations. I didn't know what a middle linebacker was supposed to do, but I understood Dick Butkus.

           He looked like a warrior.

    I remember telling my dad that I wanted to be Dick Butkus when I grew up. The Oldman looked down at me and gave me one of those answers fathers give their sons, an answer that doesn't mean much when you are six but somehow makes more sense fifty-four years later.

            “You'll never be Dick Butkus. Just work hard at being you.”

    That afternoon, without knowing it, I became a Chicago Bears fan, and the Bears have been there ever since.

         Three years later came Walter Payton.

    In 1975, Sweetness arrived in Chicago, and the deal was sealed. Then came 1977. Walter ran for more than 1,800 yards, Bob Avellini was behind center, and the Bears went 9–5 and reached the playoffs. It was the first Bears playoff team of my lifetime.

    People can give me McMahon, Cutler, this new kid out of USC, whoever they want, but Bob Avellini will always be my favorite Bears quarterback.

     Because sometimes your favorite player isn't the greatest player. He is the one who was there when you first believed.

          Then came 1985.

   Chicago didn't merely have a football team that year. We had a civic religion. The Super Bowl Shuffle, McMahon, Sweetness, Singletary, Hampton, Mongo, Otis Wilson, Wilber Marshall, Fencik, Richard Dent, The Fridge, and Mike Ditka.

  I go against the grain on this one, but I have always believed the coach who really won that Super Bowl was not Ditka. It was Buddy Ryan and that defense.

    The Bears went 15–1, then 3–0 in the playoffs, including consecutive shutouts, before destroying New England 46–10 in Super Bowl XX.

     For a Bears kid who had started with Butkus, we had finally reached the mountaintop, but football isn't really about mountaintops.

     Not when you follow a team for fifty-four years. It is about all the ordinary Sundays in between.

   It is walking into the backdoor at 220 South Lombard wearing a $124 Chicago Bears Starter jacket and having the Oldman look at me like I had just invested my life savings in magic beans.

                  “Why did you waste your money on that?”

    Then he told me something else. Someday, the Bears wouldn't be as important to me as they were then. Damn him, he was right again.

          Because life happened, but through the ups and downs. The good days and the bad. The Chicago Bears were always there.

    I remember my wife bringing a breast pump to a Bears game, disappearing at halftime to pump and dump so we could stay for the second half.

           Try explaining that to Dick Butkus.

   I have sat inside the old Soldier Field on a November Sunday when the wind came howling off Lake Michigan and cold worked its way through your boots, your gloves and eventually your bones.

   I have also sat in a neighborhood tavern staring at a Bears game on an old Zenith television with an Old Style in front of me.

                    Both somehow felt like church.

   Then came Super Bowl XLI. The Bears lost to the Baltimore Colts, 29–17, in the rain in Miami. I don't remember that night primarily for Rex Grossman's interceptions or Peyton Manning holding the Lombardi Trophy. I remember my six-month-old son George lying on my belly while we watched the game.

    The Bears lost, but I had my boy and somehow, that made everything all right.

         That is what fifty-four years does to a football fan.

    The six-year-old who once watched grown men as mythological warriors is now a sixty-year-old man watching players young enough to be his sons.

     Some of my warriors are gone. Walter Payton, Dave Duerson, Dick Butkus, Doug Buffone, Steve McMichael and now Matt Suhey, Walter's great friend, and lead blocker, gone at only sixty-eight. He sure seemed older when he was 28.

      One by one, the names that once seemed permanent remind us that nothing really is.

Not football players.

Not fathers.

Not marriages.

Not childhood.

Not us.

     Maybe that is why sports begin to mean something different as we get older. Terence Mann talks in Field of Dreams about baseball marking time and remaining a constant as America changes around it.

       I have come to understand exactly what he meant.

   Because since that afternoon in 1972, when a little boy sat on the floor of his parents' living room and announced that he wanted to grow up to be Dick Butkus, I have watched the Chicago Bears go 410–438–1.

    Four hundred and ten victories. Four hundred and thirty-eight losses and one tie.

   Miraculous victories that sent me screaming around the room. Heartbreaking losses that ruined perfectly good Sundays.

    Great teams, terrible teams. Quarterbacks who were going to save us and quarterbacks we couldn't wait to get rid of.

     Coaches arriving as geniuses and departing with moving boxes.

  Soldier Field changed, Chicago changed, the NFL changed, my family changed and I have changed.

    I finally understand what my Oldman was trying to tell that six-year-old boy. Do not spend your life trying to become somebody else's hero, work hard at being you, and maybe he was right about that ridiculous Starter jacket, too.

    The Bears aren't as important to me today as they were when I was twenty. Something better happened, they became part of the scenery of my life.

    Every September, the leaves begin turning. The air off Lake Michigan gets colder. Somewhere, somebody pulls an old Bears sweatshirt from the closet.

    Soldier Field fills again, and another generation of Chicago kids discovers its own Butkus, Payton or McMichael.

      And I take my place again. I am not six anymore, but sixty.

     Older, hopefully wiser, and certainly more aware that our seasons together are numbered.

      But still watching, still remembering, and still believing that maybe this Sunday will be one of the good ones.

    The one constant through all the years, Jumbo, has been the Chicago Bears. On the shores of Lake Michigan, autumn has returned. The Monsters of the Midway are playing football, and somewhere inside this sixty-year-old man, that six-year-old boy is still sitting on the living-room floor.

                  Bear Down.