Looking for something?

Friday, July 24, 2026

July 24th, 2026

 

Hazelnut,

Happy thirteenth birthday Daughter,

    There is something I hope you learn much earlier than I did. Life moves in seasons. The things you believe at thirteen won’t all be the things you believe at twenty-three, or thirty-three or forty-three, and probably nowhere close when you are fifty-three.

    Your favorite songs will change. Your favorite books will change. The clothes you love, the people you admire, the dreams you chase and even the way you see the world will keep changing. That isn’t confusion, that is growth.

 I have spent my life falling in love with different writers. For a while I wanted to  write like each of them because I thought they understood something important about being human and about being me. Maybe they were simply standing on different mountains, looking at the same world from another direction.

 

   If I had written to you as William Shakespeare, I would tell you that the world is overflowing with wonder if you keep your eyes open long enough to see it. I would remind you that love, laughter, heartbreak and forgiveness are all part of the same grand play, and every soul has a part worth performing. I would hope you never lose your delight in flowers blooming after winter, sunsets over the river and the strange miracle that ordinary people can become extraordinary simply by loving well.

 

   Then there was the season when I wanted to sound like Ernest Hemingway. I would tell you that courage is usually quiet, that character is built one hard decision at a time, and that strength means doing the right thing long after applause has disappeared. Stand up for yourself, stand beside those who need someone beside them, and remember that dignity is something no one can take from you unless you hand it away.

 

   Scott Fitzgerald reminded me that life should never become so practical that it forgets how to dream. I would tell you to dance when music finds you, to chase sunsets, to fall in love with books, operas, conversations and adventures, and to believe there is still magic hiding in ordinary spaces. Keep your imagination alive, because faith and dreams have carried more people through dark times than certainty ever has.

 

  Then I discovered Mike Royko, and he stripped away every excuse. Work your ass off, tell the truth, don’t let anybody bullshit you, and don’t mistake loud people for important people. Treat everyone fairly, from the CEO to the janitor and never settle for mediocrity. Never let life hustle you into becoming someone you were never meant to be. Never mealy mouth the world and never be a faker.

 

       As I have grown older, I have realized I don’t really want to write like any of them anymore. I just want to sound like your Oldman.

   If I have learned anything worth passing on after all these years, it is this… stay curious enough to keep changing, stay humble enough to keep learning, and stay true enough that no matter how many seasons your life goes through, you never lose the best parts of who you are.

   I hope one day you find your own voice. Borrow from the people you admire, learn from everyone you meet, but don't spend your life trying to sound like somebody else. The world already has Shakespeare, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Royko and Jumbo. It only gets one Hazel Marie Shepley

    Happy birthday Daughter.

          Love, The Big Ogre who will always smell old and will never stop saying how much he loves you……   

                   Your Da,

              John S. Shepley